Chapter 36

Draco stumbled along behind Bellatrix, whose nails were digging into his arm. After seeing Harry, his doubts had vanished and he was reminded of what he had promised to himself. He wanted to be a good person and to get away from his toxic family. He didn't need them. All he needed was Harry and he wasn't about to leave him.

Draco tried to pull out of his aunt's grip but she just tightened her hold. "I'm perfectly capable of walking on my own."

She scoffed. "You can't be trusted anymore."

"Why? Because Snape says so?" Draco asked.

She didn't answer.

"I wasn't aware that you became Snape's lapdog after I left for school."

Her nails dug in hard enough to spill blood. "The only person I answer to is the Dark Lord."

"Prove it," Draco hissed.

Bellatrix wasn't known for her intelligence. She released his arm and turned away from him. Draco slowed his pace and when she was a good distance in front of him, he turned around and bolted. He stayed to the side, careful to stay away from the path that Snape would most likely take. When he made it to Hagrid's Hut, he was relieved to see that Snape wasn't there. Though, fear quickly replaced his relief as he saw Harry lying on the grass. Draco ran over and knelt next to him. Harry didn't seem to be hurt. Just unconscious. Draco took a deep, relieving breath and got to his feet. He leaned down and grabbed Harry's right arm and leg before hoisting him over Draco's shoulder.

****

Harry woke up over someone's shoulder. It didn't take him long to realize who's butt was in his face.

He squirmed. "Draco?"

Draco stopped and put Harry on his feet. Harry wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed him. "Thank Merlin you're here."

Draco wrapped his arms around Harry's waist. "You're not mad?"

"I'm a lot of things right now but I'm just relieved that you got away." Harry kissed him again. "I thought I had lost you."

Draco smiled, softly. "I wasn't going to give up without a fight."

Harry smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too but, we should keep moving."

Harry nodded and everything that happened that night seemed to dawn on him. "Bloody hell, I nearly forgot. Dumbledore..."

"I'm really sorry," Draco rested his palm on Harry's cheek. "Let me explain everything while we walk."

They started toward the school. Draco explained how over the summer Voldemort gave him a task to kill Dumbledore. It had been a punishment for his father being a coward. Voldemort threatened Draco's family if he failed and Draco didn't think he had a choice. He tried to curse and poison Dumbledore but both were unsuccessful. In a last-ditch effort, he mended the Vanishing Cabinet which has a sister in Borgin & Burkes. He was going to leave a note with a time for other Deatheaters to sneak into the school.