Chapter 13

Harry walked around the library with Hermione as she put away her books.

"Are you doing okay?" Harry asked. "I know it's been a week since Ron kissed Lavender—"

"And I couldn't care less," Hermione interrupted. "He's perfectly within his rights to kiss whoever he wants. Was I under the impression that we would be going to the Christmas party together? Yes, but given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements."

"So, you've already asked someone else?"

"Yes."

"Oh. Well, I was just thinking that since neither of us can go with who we want that we could go together. You know, as friends."

Hermione leaned against one of the desks. "Why didn't I think of that?"

"It's all right. So, who did you ask?"

"It's a surprise. Who are you going to ask? And who is it that you can't go with to the party?"

Harry blushed. He didn't realize that he had let slip that he couldn't go with Draco. Hermione didn't know that he meant Draco so he said, "Ginny. I wanted to go with Ginny but she'll bring her boyfriend."

"Well, you can't just ask anyone. You see that girl over there?" Hermione turned her head toward a girl sitting in the corner. "That's Romilda Vane. She's trying to slip you a love potion."

"Really?" Harry asked, baffled.

"She's only interested in you because she thinks you're the chosen one."

"I am the chosen one." That earned him a smack on the head with a book. "Ok, sorry. Kidding. I'll ask someone I like. Someone cool."

****

Harry really didn't want to go to Slughorn's Christmas party. Harry liked Luna but he wondered what it would be like if he went with Draco. It had only been two weeks since they got together but Harry was having a lot of fun. Their relationship consisted mostly of them snogging but they did talk and Harry was starting to see a side of Draco he never would have expected. Draco was funny and kind when he wanted to be. He was still guarded but Harry was starting to open him up.

Luna and Harry walked into the party and started mingling. He didn't see Hermione anywhere so he started to look around, leaving Luna to talk to Ginny and Dean. He found her hiding behind a curtain.

"What are you doing back here?" Harry asked.

"Hiding from my date."

"Who's your date?"

Hermione looked embarrassed. "McLaggen."

Harry raised an eyebrow.

"Don't give me that face. I knew he'd make Ron the most upset."

"So, Lavender and him being together does bother you."

Hermione sighed. "Yes, but I'll get over it."

Before Harry could say anything, Neville popped his head in the curtains. "Appetizers?"

"No, thanks," Hermione said.

"All is well," he replied. "They give you horrid breath."

"On second thought," Hermione took the entire plate and started stuffing her face.

Neville left before someone else popped their head in. It was McLaggen. Hermione was able to slip out before he noticed her and he looked at Harry.

"Have you seen Granger?"

"You just missed her."

He sighed. "I think she's avoiding me."

Harry put a hand on his shoulder in a sort of understanding gesture before leaving him. Harry didn't want to get in the middle of all that. He also didn't like McLaggen that much. He was a pompous ass sometimes.

Harry looked around for Luna but his eyes were drawn to a commotion in the middle of the room. He walked closer to see Filch was holding someone by their suit jacket.

"Look who I found lurking around the corridor. No doubt trying to sneak into your party." He sneered.

"I don't give a damn about his stupid party," someone growled and Harry realized that it was Draco.

Draco shoved away from Filch and brushed his suit jacket off. "And if you ever touch me again you insolent squib—"

"That's enough, Mr. Malfoy," Snape spoke up, glaring at him. "I'll deal with him," he told Slughorn and Filch before escorting him out of the room.

Harry watched them go. Once everyone turned back to their conversations, he snuck out after them. He wandered the corridors until he heard Snape speaking.

"I made an unbreakable vow to your mother to protect you—"

"I don't need your protection or help!" Draco snapped.

Harry looked around the corner to see Draco was leaning against a wall with his arms crossed while Snape stood over him.

"Don't be stubborn. You can't do this on your own."

"You don't know what I'm capable of. Just leave me alone," Draco sneered and pushed past Snape.

Snape let him go, watching as the boy turned down the corner. Harry wanted to go after him but with Snape standing in the corridor, he wouldn't be able to. Snape started walking toward Harry so he turned around and headed back to the party.