Chapter 31

Dinner dragged on for Harry who was looking forward to meeting with Draco again. It was ridiculous to hope but Harry couldn't help it. The whole break-up had felt a little off to begin with so Draco getting back together with him didn't seem that far out there. Harry kept looking over at the Slytherin table but Draco never looked up. Harry wouldn't have even noticed Katie Bell walk into the Great Hall if it wasn't for Hermione nudging him.

Harry blinked. He had nearly forgotten about what happened to Katie. It had been a crazy few months and her accident seemed like years ago. It was back during the time that Harry had thought Draco had done something. There was only one way for him to know for sure now. Harry got to his feet and walked over to Katie.

"Hey, Katie," Harry said, smiling. "How are you?"

Katie smiled tentatively back. "Hey, Harry. I'm doing well, all things considered."

"And the accident?"

"I'm sorry, Harry. I don't remember what happened. Almost that entire day is a blank."

Harry nodded, expecting as much. He wished her well and turned to sit back down when he noticed Draco nearly running out the doors.

****

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

Draco was really getting sick of these damn panic attacks. He hadn't seen Katie since the accident and seeing her talk to Harry had sent him off. What if Katie remembered what happened? What if she told Harry about it? Draco could see his lies unfurrowing without his permission and just the thought of Harry knowing what he did and the fear of the hate that would follow was sending Draco into a spiral he couldn't get out of.

Draco leaned against the sink in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. His body was burning so he pulled off his sweater before falling back against the sink with a sob. This was all too much: the lies, the attacks, the pressure from his family and the ever-constant fear. He couldn't take it anymore. He wanted the pain to stop.

Draco brought his wand up to his neck but before he could do anything, his wand was spelled away. He whirled around to see Harry there, Draco's wand in his hand.

"What the hell are you doing?" Harry asked, fear evident on his beautiful face.

"Give me my wand, Potter," Draco growled. He had been so close. Why did Harry always have to get in the way?

Harry shook his head, shoving Draco's wand into his robe pocket. "Not until you tell me what's going on."

Draco didn't have time for this. He lunged at Harry, tackling him to the ground. They wrestled around on the floor until Draco was able to get his wand back. He got to his feet but Harry threw a spell at him. It missed and Draco threw a spell back. Harry dodged it and got to his feet.

"Draco—"

He threw another spell and Harry dove behind the stalls. By now, water was spurting out of broken faucets and Draco was having a hard time keeping his balance.

"Just stay out of this, Potter!" Draco yelled.

"No!" Harry yelled back, trying and failing to disarm Draco again. "I won't let you hurt yourself!"

Draco growled and made for the exit but Harry was faster. He said a spell that Draco had never heard before and suddenly he was on the ground. He felt like he had been cut with a million small knives and he felt his warm blood seeping out of his body. Draco didn't feel the pain. His first thought was that of relief. He hadn't expected that it would be Harry that would end him but it seemed like what he deserved.

****

Harry fell to his knees beside Draco, fear nearly clouding his vision. Dear Merlin, what he had done? That spell, that stupid spell was just something that was written in his potions' book. He hadn't meant to hurt Draco. He had just wanted him to stop. And fear had made it so that logic had escaped him.

"Please, please, just hold on," Harry whispered.

There was too much blood and he didn't know any good healing spells. He was at a loss for what to do. He had to get him to the Hospital Wing. Harry put his arms under Draco's neck and knees and staggered to his feet. Blood soaked his clothes and dripped into the water below him. Fear and adrenaline made it possible for Harry to nearly run to the Hospital Wing. Though, luck was not on his side. On the way there, he ran into Professor Snape.

"What did you do?" Snape growled.

"It's not—"

"Set him down."

"He needs—"

"I've got it," he snapped.

Harry placed Draco on the ground. Snape went to work, healing the cuts. Harry watched as the blood that had soaked his clothes went back into his body. Harry took solace in the steady rhythm of Draco's breathing. Once the cuts were close, Snape turned to Harry.

"Where did you learn that spell?"

"I read it somewhere."

Snape glared. "Give me all your school books. After I help Mr. Malfoy. I will talk with Professor McGonagall about your punishment."

Harry didn't care about his punishment. "Is he going to be okay?"

Snape gave him a long look as if assessing his intent behind the question. "Yes," he said, finally.

Harry nodded, relief filling his veins. He set down his bag filled with his school books on the ground. He didn't care if he took away his potions' book. Even though if it wasn't for that book, Draco and Harry probably never would have gone out. But it would also be the book that gave him a spell that hurt Draco. He was okay to let it go.