Chapter 37

Harry stood on the balcony of the Astronomy Tower, looking out over the grounds. Hermione and Ron stood next to him. Harry had just finished explaining what happened with the Horcruxes, Draco, Snape, and Dumbledore. Harry leaned against the railing, staring down at the locket in his hands.

"It's a fake." He said, handing the locket to Hermione. "After everything."

She opened it and read the note inside. "To the Dark Lord. I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B." Hermione looked up at Harry. "Who's R.A.B.?"

Harry shrugged. "Don't know."

"It's probably too much to hope for that this R.A.B. actually succeeded, right?" Ron asked.

Harry turned to look at his friends. "I'm not going to school next year. I can't waste any more time. I need to track down these Horcruxes and destroy them. I'm not going to ask you to come with me."

Hermione rolled her eyes. "That's because you don't need to ask. We're coming with you."

"It's going to be dangerous—"

"We've stuck by you so far," Ron smiled, slightly. "I always figured that I was going to die doing something stupid with you two."

Harry chuckled and looked toward the door where Draco had just walked through. "Well, you should know that it's not just going to be the three of us, this time."

Ron's smile fell. "Please tell me you're joking."

"Sorry, Weasley," Draco said as he walked up to stand next to Harry. "The decision is already made. Now I've got everything riding on your guy's success."

"How do we know he's not a spy for you-know-who?" Ron snapped.

Harry gave him a look. "Because I trust him. Plus, he abandoned his family to help us."

Ron crossed his arms. "I don't like it."

Draco rolled his eyes. "It's not like I ever thought that I would be a fugitive with you three."

"We're not fugitives," Hermione argued.

"You will be," Draco said. "It's only a matter of time before the Dark—you-know-who takes over the Ministry."

"Then we have no time to waste," Harry said. "We've got to contact the Order of Phoenix and figure out a plan."

****

Draco wasn't sure what he expected when he pictured where Harry lived, but it wasn't this. When Harry and Draco had appeared at the Dursleys' doorstep, Draco thought the big guy was going to lose it. He started going off about even though Harry was a wizard, he couldn't just invite "your kind" to come over. Harry shut him up pretty quickly when he told them that they had to leave.

"I'm being targeting and the first place they're going to look for me is here," Harry said. "We've already set you up with another place. Pack up your essentials and I'll get the rest of your furniture relocated."

The old man, Mr. Dursley, Draco presumed, just stared.

"Or you can die in this house. Your call," Harry said, pushing past him.

Draco followed Harry inside and up the stairs. He led him into his room and shut the door behind him. Draco set his trunk next to Harry's and looked around the modestly decorated room.

"Quaint," Draco said.

Harry snorted. "I know it's no manor, but it's better than the cabinet I used to sleep in."

Draco looked at him. "What?"

Harry waved it off and laid on the bed. "Doesn't matter."

"Did these filthy muggles lock you in a cabinet?"

"It's in the past. They were horrible but they did keep me off of Voldemort's radar for nearly eighteen years."

"It's no excuse. I should show them how comfortable it is to live in a drawer—"

"You'll do no such thing," Harry grabbed Draco's hand and brought him down next to him. "They'll be gone soon enough."

Draco sighed but settled into the bed. "Fine. For now, at least."

Harry rolled his eyes. "We probably won't ever see them again after this."

Draco got up on his elbow to look down at him. "Why do you say that? Because they're awful or..."

Harry looked up at the ceiling. "We both know that there is a high chance that I'm not going to make it out alive."

"That was before I came along," Draco argued. "Now your odds have increased immensely."

He chuckled and grabbed Draco's hand. "Okay."

"Damn right, okay. You're not dying on my watch, Potter."

"Ditto," Harry said and leaned in to kiss him.

Their lips barely touched before the door opened. It was a younger guy, around their age so Draco presumed it was Harry's cousin. He looked embarrassed as he turned his eyes on Harry.

"We've packed up." He said.

Harry nodded and got to his feet. They all walked out of the house where Mr. and Mrs. Dursley were standing by the car. Mr. Dursley looked extremely upset and was pointedly not looking at them. If they weren't wizards, Draco was sure the family wouldn't have left so quietly or quickly for that matter. Harry and Draco stopped at the doorway while Harry's cousin turned to face them.

"Good luck," he said, sticking out his hand. "And for what it's worth. I don't think you're a waste of space."

Harry smiled slightly and shook his hand. "Thanks, Dudley."

Dudley nodded once before walking over to his parents. Mr. Dursley didn't acknowledge them as he got into the car. Mrs. Dursley, however, gave Harry a curt nod. And that was it. They pulled out of the drive and disappeared down the street. 

Harry turned to Draco. "Are you ready to meet the Order?"