Chapter 54

Draco didn't even feel safe in his dorm. When he was sent back to school, he got his own dorm room. His mother insisted for safety measures. That was a week ago. Many Slytherins were deatheaters or at least had deatheater families. They all know about his betrayal. The only person Draco trusted was Blaise. That was the only good thing about this arrangement. Seeing his best mate again.

When he had seen Blaise in the Great Hall on his first night, he had felt a joy that he didn't think he could feel without Harry around. Blaise had never really been the affectionate type (unless he saw Draco after he had thought Draco was in trouble) but when he saw Draco, he ran up to him and pulled him into the tightest bear hug.

"I know the reason you're here is bad," Blaise said, still not releasing him from the tight hug. "But I'm so glad to see you again."

"Same, mate," Draco said, returned the hug.

They were making a huge spectacle of themselves, but Draco didn't care. He was just glad to have his best mate again. Blaise had been his mate for years and there were things that he knew about him that even Harry didn't. He missed having an ally like him around after months of being with Harry's friends.

Blaise pulled back and put his hand on his shoulder. "There is a lot you need filling in on and I'm sure the same goes for me."

Draco nodded. "Yeah. We'll fill each other in after dinner. I've got my own dorm now."

Blaise grinned. "Can't wait."

Draco and Blaise had been practically inseparable since. There wasn't anyone else that he really talked to either. Snape was still around but Draco hadn't talked to him since his mother convinced him to give Draco his own room. Though, it wasn't just his anymore. Blaise took it upon himself to move in with him, given that it was a head dorm with two bedrooms. Snape must know about it but he hasn't done anything to make him leave.

Draco was glad for the company. He'd been having a hard time about not knowing where Harry was or if he was okay. There was no way to get any messages to him. Draco wasn't even sure if Harry knew Draco was here. Blaise tried to console him, but it didn't help. There wasn't anything anyone could say to make him feel better.

****

Draco was sitting at one of the tables in the library, pouring over a book with Blaise beside him. He buried himself in his studies just for something to do. He was terribly behind but it's not as if they were learning anything useful. The new "professors" just taught dark spells and tortured first years and Muggleborns. Studying was a waste of time but it was better than thinking about things that cannot be helped.

Someone sat down in front of him and Draco looked up to see Theodore. He was a fellow Slytherin with dark brown hair and blue eyes. He seemed to have taken over Draco's spot as the popular bully. Ever since Draco came back, he had felt some hostility from him. Draco didn't care but he didn't know why Theodore was sitting across from him now.

"So, is it true?" Theodore asked.

"Is what true?"

"I heard the reason you were gone all these months was that you were a traitor and ran away with Harry Potter. So, I had to know," he leaned in close to Draco's face. "How was it having the Chosen One's dick in your ass?"

Draco lunged for him but Blaise held him back. Theodore leaned back and laughed.

"I think that answers my question." Theodore laughed.

"Don't. He's not worth it," Blaise spoke. "If you hit him then one of the professors will punish you."

Draco pulled out of his grip. "Fine, but another snide comment from you," Draco pointed at Theodore. "And I will kick your ass."

"Kinky," he smirked.

This time Blaise didn't stop Draco as he punched Theodore in the face.

****

Blaise had been right. Theodore ran to his father (who was one of the professors) and Draco got hexed and cursed to the point of unconsciousness. The only consolation he got was seeing Theodore's muffed-up face before he got it healed.

Blaise had been the one to get Draco back to his room afterward. The only people there were healed were the ones that got a professor's approval. Draco didn't. So, Blaise helped him and healed him as much as he could.

"I told you," Blaise replied, waving his wand over the bruises on Draco's face.

Draco rolled his eyes and flinched as the spells took effect. "Yes, you did. But you can't say he didn't deserve it."

"Of course he deserved it. Theodore is an asshole but there's a reason no one messes with him."

"Because he runs to daddy," Draco mocked.

"Sounds like someone else I know," Blaise grinned.

"Yeah, well, that was before I realized how my father is an awful coward," he muttered.

Blaise grin flattered. "Hey, I'm sorry. It was just a joke."

"I know," Draco gave him a half-hearted smile. "It's just hard to find humor in anything anymore."

"Yeah, but this won't last forever."

Draco really hoped that was true.