Chapter 29 - Beginning of the end

A week went by. Nothing special happened. Until there was a sudden beep on the computer. "It's from Zion." Apoc said. "They say that everyone has to meet at the matrix once again. It's important." Apoc read out loud. "But that will probably get us all killed. Remembering what happened last time." Jinx said on a serious tone. "Jinx is right. That risks many captains and crews for something that could be done if everyone returned to Zion." Neo pointed out. "It's important." Apoc repeated. "Well. If it's important we must go. And getting everyone to Zion would take long. When is it?" Morpheus asked. "In couple of hours." Apoc informed still looking at the message.

Couple of hours went by smoothly and everyone entered the matrix. They drove to the meeting place and entered a building with their usual (Badass) clothes. Everyone inside had gathered around a huge table. "Captain Morpheus. You were able to make it." "Captain Niobe." Morpheus greeted. "It's good that you all could make it. After what happened a week ago it has come to realization that Smith must be stopped." "But how?" One of the captains asked. "That is what we must figure out." "Can't the one just go and eliminate the Smiths?" "It sadly isn't that simple. There are so many of them." "Sooner or later the moment will come. When the one has to face him." Neo knew that, he just needed to know when.

After the meeting was over. Everyone left the matrix. Except Neo. He wanted to talk with the oracle. He landed in front of the apartment building. He looked up at the apartment building and started walking in. He got to the elevator and pressed the button. 

The elevator stopped and he walked out from the elevator. The hallway seemed empty and it was quiet. Something felt off. Neo walked infront of the Oracle's door and knocked. There was no anwser. Neo waited for about 3 minutes. Then he knocked again little louder. Still no anwser from inside. Neo carefully opened the door and walked in. The whole apartment was dark. He walked to the kitchen. To his suprise, it was empty. What had happened to her?

After going threw the other rooms and waiting for ten minutes Neo was struck by a realisation. What if the Oracle had been replaced? If she had gone to the source? It just made no sence, but he couldn't think of anything else. He walked out to the still lonely hallway. His feet tapped on the carpet as he walked back into the elevator. He pressed the button to return on the main floor. 

Soon enough the elevator stopped and the doors opened. Neo walked out of the building on the quiet sidewalk. Something was off. The whole world felt quiet. He flipped his phone open and dialed in the operators number. "Operator." "Tank. I need to get out of here." "Alright. There is a phone booth not too far from you." "Ok. Thank you." Neo flipped the phone shut before walking down the empty street. His guts told him to run, but he kept his cool and walked. He anwsered the phone inside the old phone booth and woke up back on the Nebuchadnezzar. 

Neo got unplugged. "Did you get answers from the oracle?" Morpheus asked. "No. She was gone." Silence surrounded the room. Neo finally realised how empty the main deck was. It was just him, Morpheus, Tank, Dozer, Mouse and Nara on one of the computers. "Where could she have gone?" Morpheus thought out loud. "Maybe she got replaced? Or had to go to the source." "Maybe." Morpheus said sitting on a chair. Neo was about to aska question when Morpheus answered. "If you're going to ask where Jinx is, she already went to your room." Morpheus said analyzing Neo's face for a reaction. "Thank you." Neo said keeping his usual straight face.

Neo made his way back to his room. Jinx was laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. She didn't look at him come in. "I'm back." Neo informed staying by the door's frame. "Ok." Jinx said. Her voice sounded emotionless. Neo was immediately struck with fear. What was wrong? "Are you ok?" Neo asked laying next to her. "I- i really Don't know." Her voice cracked. "Did something happen?" Neo asked examining her facial features. Jinx sniffled as she inched closer to him. "What is it?" Neo asked taking her hand. "I..i." Jinx's eyes started filling with tears. 

The door was forced open. "Neo!" It was Morpheus. Jinx quickly wiped her tears. Neo and Jinx both stood up. "What is it?" He asked his expression straight again. "You're needed." "For what?" "It's Smith."