[2] lets go

I sat down at the table in the cafeteria waiting for my friend Alice to come sit with me. I played on my phone under the table as I waited.

"Hey, Marsha." She smiled at me sitting down with a tray of food in her hands.

Her smile always had a contagious feel about it, I grinned back at her as if her smile had just leapt from her face on to mine. "Hey, Alice."

"Have you heard about the Billie kid? The new one?" She asked me.

"Oh yeah, too much." I chuckled under my breath sort of forgetting she didn't know about mine and his encounter on the rooftop. But she laughed anyway like she knew what I was trying to say. Although she didn't. But I let her.

"He's charming, don't you think?" She asked me.

"I wouldn't quite say charming."

"I think he is." I was quite confused. Alice wasn't the type to fall for guys.

"You like him?"

"Oh no!" She said quickly. "I just think he's very charming. He's got good humour on him and an attitude that reminds me too much of you, he was in my science and it was like when you use to be in there... Before you got kicked out the science group,"

"You think?"

She nodded. "Oh definitely, I'm just curious of him,"

I took a bite of my sandwich. "Curiosity killed the cat y'know," I spoke to her with a mouth half full of food.

"Well I'm not a cat, but I can tell you some klutz will be killed over this guy."

I thought about it. She wasn't wrong.

"Look there he is." She pointed out whipping her head around. We watched him walk through the cafeteria. "Where's he going?" She asked me as if I would know. When in fact I did. But she didn't know I knew. Though she asked me anyway. It didn't take a genius to figure out he was going to the rooftop.

"Not a clue." I shrugged lying, watching him leave. We both turned back around. Alice picked up her tray as she got up.

"I've got my violin lessons, I'll catch up with you later?" She said to me. I nodded as she walked away leaving me on my own, I decided to leave too. I left the cafeteria and made my way round to the back of the school.

I climbed the pipes to the rooftop to see Billie there. Sat where he was before. I looked over at the chimney to see he didn't add his name.

"Nice to see you here." I smiled. He looked over at me. And half smiled as he got up and walked over.

"I see you've not added your name?" I brought up looking at the chimney. He shook his head.

"I've not, no."

I reached into my bag and pulled out a can of neon green spray paint. As I passed it over to him.

"You just carry that with you?" He laughed asking me as he took it out my hand and walked over to the chimney popping off the lid. He got down on one knee and began to spray paint messily beside my name.

"Yeah, you never know when it'll be needed."

I watched him spray paint 'BILLIE' in scrawly handwriting on the wall. He looked back over at me and I smiled at him. He passed me the spray can as I put it into my bag again where I first retrieved it from. We went and sat at the end of the roof.

He took out a cigarette from his pocket and inserted it between his lips as he lighted it.

"You smoke?" He muttered over to me.

I shrugged. "Sometimes."

He took a drag then passed the cigarette over to me. I thought for a second about putting a cigarette between my lips that I had just got passed from a stranger I just met this morning.

"You're letting it burn sweetheart." He laughed snapping me out my thoughts. I looked over at him and put it in my mouth and took a breath in. As I took it in and blew out the smoke. Passing it to him back ove afterwards.

"So, how was your first day?" I asked him, sparking up a conversation.

"Nothing interesting, apart from meeting a somewhat attractive and very cocky girl on the roof of the school." He smirked to himself blowing smoke into the air. I tried not to focus too much on the word attractive he had used to describe me and not to cough as the smoke he had exhaled blew my way and instead laughed.

We sat in silence for a moment.

"Don't you think there's more to this?" I asked him. He looked over at me confused.

"More than what?"

"We're just two teenagers sat on the edge of the school roof passing a cigarette between us while most other kids are playing football or talking to a big group of friends or even going to their private violin lessons," I said to him.

He shrugged. "Yeah, but what can you do? Y'know?" I nodded. I did know. "I never really thought you would be the type to sit and smoke with a kid like me on the roof." He said looking over at me, although I wasn't looking at him it didn't take a lot to realise he was looking closely at me.

"You don't?"

"No, you just don't seem like the type."

"What like the type to be smoking and skipping school or being around you?" I asked cocking up an eyebrow and smiling slightly.

"Both. But hey, I'll take what I can get."

We passed the cig between us both for a bit longer before he stumped it out beside him.

"You wanna go?" He asked me. I looked over at him this time, his green eyes boring into mine.

"What like off the roof? Or-?"

"No, like out of school? We can go to a shop or café or something.".

"I don't know..."

"Come on sweetheart." He smirked.

"Stop calling me that."

"You love it." He grinned as I felt my stomach knot. Alice was right, he is charming.

"Billie, I hardly even know you why would I go to a café with you?"

"Because I want to get to know you," he smiled seeming sincere. "Come on." He whined like a child sticking his bottom lip out. I couldn't help but smile.

"You're already becoming a pain." I smiled giving in with trying to obtain a serious face.

"You'll grow to love me." He smiled back.

There was a moment of silence where I just looked at him, his big green eyes staring into my soul, his lips tugged into a crooked smile, I already could have told you this boy was going to be the death of me.

I smiled looking at him. "Let's go."