Speak to me

Chase X deaf/mute character requested by hyperpiper8

~~~~~~~~
3rd person POV

"Of course, Mr Davenport," Chase says as he gets up from where he was leaning against the lab table. "I'll go and get you lunch, because yes, this is a very important matter for which you definitely need me." Sarcasm laced his voice as he waved his hands in annoyance.

"Thank you, Chase." He didn't even seem to notice the mockery tone in his 'son's' voice. Chase just raised his hands in defeat while rolling his eyes as he turns around, headed for that stupid bakery Mr Davenport likes so much.

The place is crowded, apparently mr. Davenport is not the only one who prefers their baked goods. Chase patiently stood in line as the customers in front of him ordered.

"Hi, can you get me a number 17, please?"

"I'm sorry, we're out, we only have these ones," the girl behind the counter points at some sad, lonely sandwiches that no one wanted. Most certainly not mr. Davenport.

"Uhm, sure. Can you give me that one please?" Better than nothing right?

He took the rather disappointing sandwich from Laura, as the girls name tag read.

As he walked through the park, Chase realized he didn't really want to go back to the lab already. So he decided to just take a stroll, before heading back to mr. Davenport and his rather present ego.

As he passes an ice cream truck, he pulls out his wallet. The man looked not to happy with Chase, very agitated. You could clearly see he did not enjoy working there. Without any greetings, the grumpy forty-something year old asked him for his order. In a not so pleasant way, might I add.

"Strawberry, please," Chase really tried his best to he polite but this guys attitude made a bad day even worse. Chase always liked strawberry ice cream, partly because he was so against ordering chocolate.
Chocolate is just so... so basic. Everyone chooses chocolate. But not Chase. Because...? He doesn't even really know how to justify his choice.

He took the ice cream and made his way over to one of the benches spread throughout the park. The nearest one (because he's not in the mood for walking) just happens to be taken. A girl with the age of twenty is engulfed in a book that's laying in her lap.

"Hey," despite not feeling like making any social contact with anyone today, he still greeted the girl when he sat down.

The girl did not react, not at all. She didn't even flinch. And this annoyed Chase endless. It's just everything that's happened today, and now this!

"Hello...?" Okay, now sure, he could just shut up now. But if he had the decency to say hi, he deserved an hello back.

The girl on the bench noticed the movement in the corner of her eyes and turned her head. She saw a guy her age sit next to her. He looked at her rather annoyed.

His lips moved, 'hello', she recognized the movement of his lips.

'I'm deaf', she signed, her finger pointing at herself before going to her ears, then crossing them to indicate her deafness.

"Oh shit! I'm so sorry! I just had a-" he starts to ramble before cutting himself off. "And you can't hear me, duh." He grabs his phone and opens his notes.