Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand

Hours had passed when Radley and Michael rode up to Bennett's house with a wagon following them. Trunks, as well as boxes, were stacked in the back. A curtain flashed open on the third floor hearing the clatter of wheels on the cobbled drive.

Charlotte had been watching Ruth put the finishing touches to her painting when she heard the noise of Radley's return. "They're back."

"Go ahead. I want to finish this," Ruth said glancing at her. A giggle escaped as she watched Charlotte race out the door.

The sound of heavy booted feet coming from the back of the house had her heading in that direction. She leaped into a doorway to get out of their way because they were carrying trunks and crates of books. Radley and Michael were also carrying items.

"Charlotte, guide the servants upstairs. We were able to pack Vivian's books," Radley told her as they continued towards the stairs.

She knew by his statement that his father hadn't returned. "It's a good thing Ruth took care of the space," she mumbled. "The interruption won't make her happy." She hurried to do as he requested.

Earnest came behind them also carrying a crate of books. After seeing so many servants with books, she began to be concerned. Her idea of making the adjoining bedroom into Vivian's study, would be much too small.

She raced up the stairs and came into the room but had to get out of their way when they began to leave. The crates were stacked in the corner waist high.

Ruth cleaned her brushes as Radley separated some boxes from the others.

"Are there more books?" Charlotte asked him.

"Most of these are Vivian's but I added some of my own," Radley explained.

"That's nice of you. You mentioned that she liked reading your books from school." She walked closer. "Why are you separating them? Does she have a way of organizing them?"

"No. I'm storing my books here until I find a house here in London to buy. I'm sick of living at home," he said with a firm voice.

"Are you sure you should make that decision while you're angry with your father?"

"Ben and Owen moved away from your parents after graduation and bought this house not long after. My decision is based on my desire not to live with my father any longer. Money is not an object and buying a house is an investment."

She knew that wasn't the reason. "You moved out today, didn't you?"

"I need to go back and gather my personal files. Tomorrow, I'll begin looking... you should come with me."

An expression of surprise widened her eyes. "Tell me why you want me to come."

"I want your opinion." Their eyes met and his eyebrow rose. "If you like it, then it would probably have a good resale value. Most houses in this part of London are large family homes but not as large as this one."

She nodded her head as she clasped her hands behind her back. "I would be happy to help you choose one."

The smile he gave her was as sly as a fox. "That would be very helpful, my dear. Empty houses often need work, but with our trip, this is the best time to purchase and begin renovations. Though, I will need to find someone to oversee them. I may return to Maywood for a week or so."

She didn't like hearing that. "I thought you would return with me," she said with almost a whine.

Radley grinned at hearing her displeasure. "You could go with me."

"That wouldn't be proper, and you know it."

"Aren't you curious about what I own?"

"Not particularly. You inherited what you have and I'm sure you will do well by it."