Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail

Four men, dressed in fine clothing, riding into town with a prison wagon following brought people outside to observe the sight. Some waved, and a boy raced into the street to get a closer look at the prisoner riding inside.

The parade stopped in front of the Magistrates jailhouse, and Peterson stepped through the door. The barristers dismounted first while the two Bobbies remained on the wagon with the prisoner.

Dalton and George approached Peterson. "We are investigating a case. I am Barrister Hudson, and this is Barrister Hollis." Dalton pulled out his official badge to prove his standing. "I need to see your records over the past six months."

Peterson's eyes grew wide. "It's a quiet area. There's not much to see."

"You have surely arrested someone since you have held the office," Hollis stated.

"What I have is filed inside the file cabinet."

Dalton waved his arm towards the door. "Lead the way."

When he saw Reginald and Radley dismount and follow them inside, Peterson asked, "What are they doing here?"

"Do you know them?"

"Yes. The young one is the Viscount of Maywood."

"Excellent. Then you know that he is the Lord Advocate in Maywood. He is here because Lord Milton was caught buying stolen goods that belonged to Lord the Viscount. Is your jail empty?"

"It is not. I arrested a man last night for breaking into a house."

"Did you recover what was stolen?"

"He had nothing on him, your lordship."

Dalton nodded. "Then you caught him inside the property?"

"No, he was on the porch... what does this matter?" Peterson said with the beginning of anger for being questioned.

"I will be using your jail to lock up our prisoner while we look over your paperwork." He pulled the warrant from his pocket and handed it to him. "Without any evidence of breaking and entering the premises, and only being caught standing on the porch, the man inside could have knocked and awaited someone to answer. What proof do you have of his foul play?"

"I saw the front window smashed and him standing by the door."

"At best, that is circumstantial evidence." He turned to Hollis. "Would you agree that this case should be thrown out?"

"I would, your lordship."

"Good. It is settled. By my order, I throw this case out for lack of evidence. Release the prisoner." Dalton said as he tried to go inside the jailhouse.

Peterson didn't move. His face was red with anger. "But he was there," he almost shouted.

"You cannot argue for you have no proof. In court, I would find you in contempt. Now get out of my way."

Radley came forward and shoved Peterson into the jailhouse so hard that he landed on his butt. "When a barrister tells you to do something, you do it. Now do what you're told or I'll stick you in that jail."

Dalton moved inside. "Thank you, milord. Please help me out and release that prisoner. The keys are sitting on the desk." Hollis picked them up instead and unlocked the door.

Hollis looked at the prisoner, who had been badly beaten. He had a black eye, a split lip, and he sat in the corner holding his rib. Hollis walked inside and offered his hand. "I will do you no harm. What is your name?"

The prisoner took his hand and Hollis helped him to stand. "I'm Tomas Brown. Most call me Tom."

"Please, come out of the cell."