Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor

After hours of riding with his father in the small confines of a carriage, Radley had a better understanding of his father. As he had spoken about his behavior, Radley compared what he said to Charlotte's understanding. The conclusion was clear. His father meant no harm. He'd only made mistakes. Mistakes just like everyone makes from time to time.

One thing he had learned, never rush into acting upon something without examining the consequences. Thankfully, he hadn't made a mistake with Charlotte. Her actions had pushed him until he wanted to challenge her into deciding what she wanted. She could have let him go. He'd been relieved that she hadn't. If he'd been aware of her sound wisdom, he would have changed his tactics.

A smile enlightened his face when he thought about how fortunate he was. At the moment, they ran into some hardships, but he also realized that his wife was strong enough to stand beside him. Many young brides would have created more problems instead of less.

Reginald leaned in the corner against the cushioned squabs watching Radley as he watched the landscape pass. Whatever he was thinking of put a series of emotions across his face. He'd looked: serious, worried, and then he'd shown a grin right before his eyes had warmed with love.

"May I inquire where your thoughts are?" Reginald asked.

A crooked grin came to his lips. "My wife. She is an amazing woman. At first, I recognized her tendency to make demands. Then I saw how she will jump to the defense of her family. Charlotte is a strong woman who will stand firm on her beliefs." He laughed as he shook his head. "That day we went to the park, she took off on my horse, and I had to go after her."

Instead of outrageous shock, Reginald laughed. "I see what you mean."

"She's smart too. I'm very fortunate that she chose me. I'd actually had the idea that I would be able to control her." His eyes rolled as he shook his head. "That woman is my equal and in all way a helpmate to me. She doesn't hesitate to give me advice. This entire event has shown me it is wise to share my thoughts with her." He looked square in his father's face and told him, "She made me realize that mistakes are as inevitable as opinions. There is usually something deep beneath the surface, and it's up to us to dig deeper before we respond to it."

"You are speaking in riddles, but I assume it dealt with my actions?"

"She knew you had acted upon fear. I didn't look beneath the surface. To me, it was wrong. Vivian and Ben love each other, and you tried to manipulate them. After Charlotte explained what she saw, I understood. That's why I say she is my helpmate."

His father blinked back his emotions, saying, "You have married well. Your mother did the same for me. You're very fortunate."

They crossed through the gates into Maywood, and they both looked through the small carriage window. The front door to the house was open. It concerned him until he saw someone close it.

As soon as the horses were pulled to a stop in front, they alighted and hurried inside. Radley shouted so the men guarding Talbot would know he was back. His footman, wearing his own clothes, came towards him, stopped, and bowed.

"Milord, you have arrived earlier than we expected. The items stolen from this house are being returned by your tenants. Though, they are not aware of where things belong."

Radley stepped to the room near him, the ladies parlor, and looked inside. Items had been carried inside and set next to the wall. Nothing matched, but he was pleased to see the furniture. "Have they gone to collect more of my things?"

"Aye, they have." He glanced back over his shoulder towards the basement door. "I am guarding the prisoner while they work."

Radley noticed the gun stuck in the waist of his pants. "Has there been a problem?"