Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers

After having tea, Michael and Owen left Radley alone with Charlotte. She was still fuming at his affectionate display in front of Owen. "I should stop trusting you after the way you just treated me," she said with heat glaring from her eyes.

"Everyone has accepted my affection for you, Charlotte. I saw no reason to hide it from them."

"You said you wished to court me. Have you? No. What you have managed is to kiss me at every opportunity. I know what you want. Your sister told me the pages are worn in that book because you've read it many times."

He hiked a single brow. "What book is that, my dear?"

"You know perfectly well what book she brought with her. After seeing it, I know exactly what kind of thoughts you are having," she said with her face drawn into a deep frown.

Without a penitent bone in his body, he threw his head back and laughed. When she tried to rise from her chair to storm from the room, he was quickly up on his feet to block her retreat. She tried to step around him, but he wrapped his arm around her waist and jerked her against him.

"That's what marriage entails, my dear," he said holding her tightly while she struggled to escape his hold. "You may be nervous about what's coming, but I promise you will love every minute of it."

Her body betrayed her anger at the very thought of him doing such things to her. His lips closed over the sensitive part of her neck and instead of a kiss, he sucked and her knees went weak. Thankfully, his hold kept her from falling to her knees.

The very fact he could do that to her was infuriating.

Brides were supposed to be innocent on their wedding night. That book and his boldness had ripped that away. "Radley Brighton, I want to be courted, not bedded."

"I could change your mind." He knew his mistake when she raised her knee to do him in. His reflexes had her hitting his knees instead of his jewels. He turned her to the side and landed the flat of his palm on her bottom. "If you ever try that again, I'll put you over my knee, throw those skirts over your head and spank that beautiful bottom of yours until you can't sit down. Do you understand me, Charlotte?"

She rubbed her bottom and glared at him. "I was protecting myself!"

"No, that was unnecessary, and you know it. I would never hurt you physically, unless it's to spank you for trying to hurt me for kissing you. Try it again and I won't be as easy on you. In case you've forgotten, Ben gave me permission to do exactly that. It seems he doesn't believe you can be controlled in any other way."

"May I go now?"

He wanted to spank that bottom until she... he wiped those sexual thoughts from his mind. I have an appointment to see a house, which you agreed to see with me. Afterwards, I thought to take you to experience the promenade at Hyde Park. That swat I gave you over layers of cloth, should not impede you from riding in a carriage.

"If you still wish to join me, Charlotte, collect your pelisse while I see to having the carriage brought around."

She was torn from her desire to go and not going with him because he had actually spanked her. But if she did marry him one day, she wanted the chance to help choose a house.

A shiver raced through her again at the very idea of spending her life with this domineering man who enjoyed calming her down with kisses and now punishment.

Her mother had taught her a few things about getting men to listen to reason, but Radley was nothing like her reasonable father. No, Radley had yet to bend to her will. So far, he controlled her except for rare occasions.