Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation

Vivian stood beside Ben as he leaned over the desk, explaining what he was working on. She had stopped listening to him because all she could think about was the passionate kiss they had shared. His dark curly hair had caught her attention, and she began to play with the curls by his ear.

Ben dropped his head forward and curled his fingers into a loose fists as they rested against the top of his paperwork. Without looking up, he told her, "Sweetheart, if you keep doing that I won't get any work done."

"You want me to stop?"

"Actually, I don't. Though, if you continue..." he said as he turned to take her into his arms, "you may get us both in trouble. He tightened his arms and lifted her high against his chest. Her toes couldn't touch the floor. The kiss they shared was scorching hot. "You are too tempting to resist for long."

"You are too. I am glad we have this together," she said running her hands over his shoulders. Her toes curled from the sensation he cause while holding her. "You are hard all over. My brothers are like that; they box and practice with swords. What do you do, build rock walls?"

He laughed at her joke. "I practice the same sports. "Perhaps Radley and I can spar sometime today. Charlotte has probably caused him as much frustration as I have experienced with you." He had seen Charlotte walk Radley to the door a few minutes ago and he looked as though it were a planned escape.

"Are you saying you wish me to stop kissing you?" she asked staring into his eyes daring him to say yes. When he threw his head back in laughter she threatened to bite his neck.

"Behave," he said threatening to drop her. She grabbed his shoulders while frowning at him, but her eyes sparkled with playfulness. "I was under the impression that you were coming here today to see what kind of work I did. Now I know you just wanted to torture me with temptation." Ben leaned down and took her earlobe between his teeth. "If you don't help me resist taking you to my bed, you will find yourself married within a week."

"I am not in disagreement in regards to an early wedding, though you should learn a few things first."

"And, what pray tell, should I be practicing? Positions you are fascinated with in that book?"

She pushed against his shoulders to be set down. "I do not want a babe in nine months. You must talk to someone to see what must be done to prevent such from happening. Until then, I will try and resist you, but it is most difficult," she said rubbing her thumb over his bottom lip.

"You are an imp teasing me, but I will hold you to that."

She rubbed her hand over his chest before taking a few steps back. "'Tis most liberating to know I can tease you."

"Such liberty may end after we are wed. I will enjoy tossing you over my shoulder and taking you to bed," he said with a teasing grin. In his peripheral vision, he saw Charlotte run up the stairs alone. "We can resume this conversation of torment later. I believe your brother has left. I saw Charlotte going to her room. If you wish to speak with her, now would be a good time."

"That is a good idea." She reached down to his desk and picked up her book.

"Do you plan to talk about that book?"

"Yes. Your mother has likely spoken with her concerning things about mating. Radley and Michael speak to me about such things, but I wish to know what Charlotte has been told." She rose onto her toes and kissed his lips. "I will come back after we discuss what's in here," she said holding the book up. "Perhaps my absence will help you finish the problem you were working on."

He wasn't sure what to say. Work was the last thing on his mind. It was his mother that worried him. She would not approve of that book even if Vivian considered education a woman's right. "I must ask a favor of you, Vivian. Please, do not show that book to Ruth. Promise me. My mother would have a fit."