Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect

As Vivian took the box of lambskins to the bed, Ben began removing his weapons and putting them away. He watched her tear the paper off the box as if it were Christmas. There wasn't anything he didn't absolutely love about her, especially the way her eyes lit with excitement about the smallest things. She saw life as an adventure to be explored.

"Vivian, after I arranged for the license, I went to see a friend of mine who's a barrister." Vivian stopped before opening the box and slid it aside to look at him. There was something incredibly special about the way she gave him her complete attention. "Radley feared your godparents would try to come and take you to your father. If they managed to do this, there would be nothing I could do to get you back. Not legally. Either way, I knew there was little choice but to elope. I couldn't take the chance of him keeping you away from me until you turned eighteen. If he accomplished it, I had doubts he would allow me to see you."

She slid off the bed and went to him to take his hand. "I would have escaped him eventually, but this is better. What did your friend say? Was he able to help us?"

He slid the palm of his hand down the side of her head with tenderness. "As a judge, Dalton wrote out an order that allows our marriage. We are legally permitted to do so because you are of age, the archbishop also approved the marriage, and we have a contract your father signed permitting the marriage when you become of age. Dalton asked to come to our wedding and bringing a few Bobbies with him to make sure our wedding happens."

She leaned her cheek into his hand and then tugged him towards the bed. "Come and sit with me, Benny." She sat on the edge of his bed, and he joined her. "You were wise to take such extremes. My godfather would do anything my father told him. Though, I can't imagine them coming tonight. I suspect he will hunt me down in the morning to make sure Owen or Michael did as ordered." She chewed on her bottom lip as she considered the situation. "I would like to read Father's note. Perhaps Radley will bring it."

"If he doesn't bring it, he can bring it tomorrow. By then we will be truly wed."

"I should make a list for the maids. This could become complicated and I need more than a wedding dress and what I am wearing. Radley can bring what I need. Does Michael know about this? I want them both to attend our wedding. We do not have much time. He should leave now."

"Those are questions you should put to Radley."

She nodded agreement and handed him the box unopened. "These will have to wait until later. Then we shall be more prepared as to how to proceed. I would like to take a bath and arrange my hair while Radley gets my dress. Does Charlotte have a personal maid who can help me?"

A smile tipped his lips up right before he kissed her. "Yes, she has a personal maid. Tonight, she will be busy attending all of you. The downstairs maid can help her." He rose and put the box inside the drawer of the bedside table. "I love your organizational skills. You are already bossing me around like a wife."

After he unlocked the door, he offered her his hand. "My mother treats my father the same way. He claims it is one of the many ways she demonstrates her love for him."

"He appreciates her. You are not lacking in such organization skills. I know of your success in business. I have made a habit of speaking my plans aloud. This helps to inform those around me. When you gave me the flowers, I told you I wanted to see them put in water and inform my father and Radley of your arrival."

He looked at her with affection in his eyes. "I find such information helps as it keeps me from asking. There is nothing I would change about you, Vivian." The smile he saw on her face was mischievous and that too enticed him.

"Oh, but you will change me," she said with conviction. At his confusion, she squeezed his hand. "My maidenly standing, this you will change to wife."