Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals

The sky was lit with color from the setting sun when a traveling carriage pulled onto the Maywood Manor grounds. A prison wagon followed with three uniformed Bobbies on horseback riding alongside. Each driver had a Bobbie riding on top beside them. When the vehicles stopped in front of the mansion, the Bobbie on the carriage climbed down and opened the door.

Quint looked out the window and then hurried to inform Master Radley that Barrister Hudson had arrived. Radley stood and grabbed his jacket, donning it as he rushed to the front door.

Quint opened the door and watched Barrister Hudson alight from the carriage, but then another man also stepped down. Together, they walked towards the front door. The carriage and prison wagon waited while the four Bobbies on horseback dismounted.

The added guests had him calling for one of the maids. He ordered more rooms be prepared for guests, five in the servants wing. She rushed away to do so as Radley arrived in time to hear Quint take care of the matter.

Radley stepped through the door onto the front steps to greet his guests.

"That is not a short trip, Dalton. Ben and Vivian only arrived two hours ago." Instead of bowing, he offered his hand. "I am very grateful you have taken the time to come. There is much to tell you."

He smiled as he accepted Radley's hand. "Your message, and Ben's additional voice of urgency, sounded as if this area needed investigation. This is Barrister George Hollis. He is new to the bench, and he requested to join me."

"You are most welcome, Barrister Hollis." Radley glanced at Quint who waited to take their hats.

"Thank you. I am new to the bench so I wished to observe the investigation. I hope I am not putting you out."

"Not at all. I assure you, we have plenty of room. Please, come in." They stepped inside and Quint stepped forward to take their coats as well. "Before we meet the prisoners locked in my dungeon, allow me to offer you a repast."

Dalton laughed at the joke, but George looked quite surprised. "Since when are you calling your basement a dungeon?"

"Since I was robbed and my men made it a cell. The only thing it lacks is torturing devices. The darkness it has." Radley led them to his office. "Please, make yourself comfortable, gentlemen. I'm sure Quint, my butler, has seen to having refreshments served.

Radley waited for the men to sit before he spoke. "There are three new prisoners." At their surprise, he took a seat behind his desk. "My tenant, Bogsley, went to check his traps, since we were hunting, and he came upon these men spying on the house..." he continued to tell what happened when a maid appeared with a tea cart and pastries. "Ah, here it is. Mind you, we shall eat dinner shortly. Ben has lent me quite a few of his servants until I collect all of mine. My man, Quint, is seeing to that inconvenience."

After they were served, Radley began telling the events that had taken place since his arrival to the manor with Charlotte. He included how Lewis had helped by tracking Talbot down.

When they finished having tea, Dalton requested to speak to Quint and the maids who had dealt with Talbot.

Radley offered him the seat at his desk with a wave of his arm. "My office is yours, Dalton. I'll inform Quint you wish to speak with him and the maids." He closed the door behind him and spoke with Quint, who stood in the hall. As soon as Quint left to collect the maids, Radley took the stairs two at a time as he climbed to the second floor. Dalton's interview gave him enough time to see Charlotte.

He found her and Vivian comparing the jewels with the gowns she had brought for the party at her father's estate. When she spotted Radley, she dropped what she was doing and hurried into his arms.