Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games

Vivian had no idea how to respond to what Ben said about a husband's responsibility to a wife. The kiss upon her cheek sent a thrill throughout her entire body. A sensation she had never experienced before.

He rubbed his thumb across the spot he kissed. "Today is the first of many things we shall share together."

She nodded and felt as if her brain had stopped working. "I must remember everything you have said to me today. I'll choose a new notebook. A pressed flower from the bouquet will make a good keepsake."

"When we return from our ride, I will help you choose one for such a purpose," he said touching a curl. "I would enjoy adding my thoughts to that notebook."

She stared into his eyes as he wrapped the curl around his finger. "I would enjoy writing it together. Perhaps you will share what you are thinking now?"

"That your hair is like the finest silk and there is spun gold among strands of wheat."

She giggled at what he said. "You sound like a poet, Benny." With laughter in her eyes, she checked the room. "I would like to touch your beard to see what it feels like, but Radley would not be pleased at us demonstrating such intimacy."

He glanced at her brother who was busy speaking with Charlotte. "I believe he has little concern of our conversation—or touches of intimacy. You are my fiancée, are you not, Vivian?"

"I was told that I am. No, that is incorrect. I overheard my father discuss the contract with Radley. They were not happy to discover my presence. I do not understand why Father did not share this earlier." She touched his chest. "Perhaps you and I will discuss this?"

"Are you displeased?"

She gasped. "Of course not; I have always had great affection for you, Benny. That has not changed. However, now that I know the truth, we shall build new memories that I will also cherish." A noise behind her stole her attention. She looked over her shoulder to see her father coming down the hall to join them. She turned her attention back to Ben as she stepped closer. "If possible, I wish to have time alone with you to discuss our future. Perhaps when I come for a visit?"

"I will make sure such is possible." He lifted her hand and kissed her fingers before he waited to greet her father.

She slowly removed her hand causing him to wink at her. His open affection pleased her.

He bowed before her father. "'Tis good to see you, Lord Croxley."

Reginald bowed his head with acknowledgment. "I am most pleased you have come. My apology for not requesting your visit before now." He stepped further into the room and acknowledged the two young ladies. He also noticed the way Radley stood beside the beauty he had mentioned earlier.

"May I introduce my sisters, Milord?" At his nod, he began, "These are my sisters, Lady Charlotte..." Ben said and she curtsied. "...and my younger sister, Lady Ruth. May I present to you, Lord Reginald Brighton, Marquess of Croxley."

Both girls did a grand curtsy in respect to his rank. "A pleasure to meet you, Milord. Father has spoken much about you over the years. He would enjoy seeing you again. Perhaps you would consider joining us for a trip to Kensingdale for a visit?"

"Yes, I would enjoy seeing him again. How is his health? Better I hope?"

"The country air has much improved his condition, thank you."

Vivian stood beside Ben waiting. He tickled her hand and smiled as she giggled. It was enough to say something. "Father, we will wait for your mount to be saddled if you have changed your mind and wish to join us."