Chapter Nine: What's Proper?

Vivian continued to keep her horse at an even gait with Ben's mount. She was not ready to drop what she wished to know concerning the rules of their courtship. "Ben, it is confusing as to what others deem as proper behavior. Isn't such only a matter of one's opinion? If I am to speak with Father on this matter, I wish to know."

He understood and agreed with her. "If this matter is of concern, I shall speak to your father. You are now of an age for me to court you. Couples who are under contract to marry are allowed to attend places without a chaperone. However, it is my honor that prevents you from needing one."

"I have no doubts as to your honor, Ben. As to when we shall marry, we shall discuss this in detail at a later time. What has me concerned are the rules of the elite. Father has not been much help and often tells me not to worry over such things. However, I wish to avoid mistakes as well as embarrassment; should we appear alone together at the opera. We do not have a contract pinned to our breast to prove such behavior is permissible."

"You are right of course. But one cannot stop what other people think, my dear. Gossip often harms the innocent."

Her ire heated and it came out in the tone of her voice. "The innocent are charged with misbehavior and looked down upon in favor of the wicked rumor and it goes unpunished. What justice is in that?" She tossed her arm out as she stated so. "'Tis not right."

"I agree." He loved seeing the fire inside her.

"I wish to read about these rules. Do you know of a book that teaches such?"

"Charlotte may have such a book. We can decipher such information together so I will not overstep what is proper. If attending the opera alone with me is a concern for you, your personal maid can join us and sit in the hallway. She will be able to hear the music." He watched her consider his compromise.

"My brother, Michael, scoffs at the antiquated rules. It is of his opinion that I will not wish to be involved with the elite of society. He avoids them."

"In many ways, that is Charlotte's opinion." Ben realized how she had managed without a mother's guidance. His mother was the one who had taught Charlotte. Now, his sister could pass some wisdom of such things to Vivian.

"I shall ask Charlotte about such a book. If she has one, I will bring it tonight when we come for dinner," he said smiling. "However, if you wish to share it by reading it with me, you must bring it in the morning."

Radley and the sisters rode up alongside them. He exclaimed, "This makes me eager to ride to the country where true challenges exist. I need to go to my estate and check upon the renters."

Ben agreed that the country was invigorating. "Have you escorted Vivian for a carriage ride during the late afternoon?"

"Ask me, Benny. The answer is no. But you may take me. I would enjoy the adventure with you."

"Then we shall do so tomorrow if you wish. The elite use the ride to greet others and see who is riding with whom. We will likely not know anyone, but if I do perchance recognize someone, I will introduce you."

Vivian saw Charlotte smiling at Ben. "I believe it will be enjoyable if Radley brings Charlotte in his chaise. Would you not enjoy partaking of such an adventure, Charlotte?" As she watched, Charlotte jerked her head to look at Radley. "I am willing if you are not otherwise engaged."

His expression was pleasurable. "I would be honored. We would not wish to disappoint Vivian, now would we?"

"You are most persuasive. I will come with Ben when he comes to collect Vivian at four tomorrow."