Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness

Ben rode through the streets, his steed flying. He had a bad feeling about this. His worry was for Owen as he tried to handle men hot with anger because they worried over something that had yet to happen.

Once he reached the warehouse, he heard the crowd before he saw them. Owen stood nearby, shouting promises as he held his hands high, palms out, in a sign of peace. Then he saw a man swing at him. Owen ducked out of reach as he tried to keep a brawl from breaking out. Ben raced his horse directly at the man with his sword in hand. This man had asked for trouble, and that was what he would receive.

"Hold and desist," he called from his position on his large, dark horse. Ben pointing the sword at the ruffian's chest, saying, "Back up or you will bleed."

The man's hands flew up as he backed away. Ben looked around at those still shoving and yelling. He whistled so loudly, he immediately gained their attention. "Cease this trouble now or find another job. None of you are irreplaceable. I will not tolerate anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do with my company." He whirled the saber with a twist of his wrist. "Get out! If you don't leave now, they will carry you out!" he said with malice.

As he sat upon his horse, he tugged on the reins and signaled the horse. His steed rose high on his back legs and waved his front hooves before dropping to the ground. Ben knew the impressive sight that was, especially up close. Years ago, he had seen an actor do this stunt, and it was a show stopper. Ben trained his horse and had used it ever since. The idea of slicing bodies in two did not appeal to him, but he would not hesitate to use force if anyone threatened Owen with harm.

For a moment, he thought to dismount, but doing so made him vulnerable to attack. Instead, he rode up beside Owen, removed his boot from the stirrup, and offered his hand to haul him up behind him. He then turned the horse, facing most of the workers.

"You have twenty seconds to get off my property. Do not return until you know your place. If you try this again, I will fire everyone. I would rather hire new people than kill you for this."

When they didn't move, he began to count loudly—"One...two...three..." he watched the men run out the doors. After the last man departed, Owen's head fell onto Ben's back as he laughed.

"That was the best acting I have ever seen you do yet. You should go on stage." He swung his leg over and slid to the ground. Without another word, he hurried to the delivery doors, shut them tight, and locked them.

Ben sheathed his sword. "Are you suggesting I wouldn't follow through?"

"You think I'm a fool? I know you would. Cleave them in half is a bit more than what I've seen you do. You never attacked a man's limbs in consideration of his ability to provide for their families. But a souvenir of the trouble they caused, yes. Some carry the scars—as do you.

"Did Vivian see you leave?"

Ben shrugged. "It's possible, but she was busy with Charlotte when I left. I was in a bit of a hurry to come and help. I arrived in time to see that you had an angry mob on your hands."

"Some men listen, some don't. There were too many for me to fight. Those on my side were of no help except for Tibby who rode for you to come and help." Owen looked around but didn't see him. "Don't tell me Tibby left after getting you."

"He didn't catch up to me until after I rode inside. I saw him using his horse to chase after the men leaving," he said with a grin. He swung down from his mount and walked towards the office. "Tell me what happened. What shipment was short?"

"Not short, late. They came to move our arrival to storage to be listed and then take it to our distributors. What came on this shipment was silk and spices from Singapore. It was not a small shipment, but not like the furs, cotton, tobacco, and fruit from the South Seas and America. That will arrive in two days. But the workers wouldn't listen to explanations. There was one man, I didn't recognize, who instigated this riot. It makes me think that he may work for someone else."