Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence

Dalton shrugged his eyebrows with satisfaction after the demonstration of Radley's anger. "Shall we start in here?" he asked as he stepped into the first room.

"I believe I will make myself useful by watching him until Winston returns from speaking to the butler. I wouldn't wish to miss the event of seeing him thrown into the prison wagon." Reginald's voice sounded as harsh as his anger.

Radley stared at his father with a grin. "Let me know when they escort him out. I believe I would like to witness it as well." His father nodded and leaned his back against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest.

He spoke to Lord Milton as if discussing the weather. "I thought if I came along, I could get you to admit you suspected something concerning those horses. It's arrogant of me, but sometimes, my rank as a Marquess makes others fear my influence in the courts."

Dalton and Radley heard what he said and stopped to listen.

Reginald continued as if he was thinking aloud. "You haven't met my son-in-law, but he and Barrister Hudson are good friends. He attended their wedding. Of course there was a reason for it, involving me I'm afraid, but it proves how wrong parents can be. My son, Radley, was also hurt by my actions." He took a deep breath and let it out.

"I digress. I wished to talk about Dalton's thoughtfulness. When he received word that Radley was robbed and the magistrate was a crook too, Barrister Hudson came to help. He also wished to investigate, of course, but overall, it was a favor to Ben and my son since this area and mine are affected. Because Magistrate Peterson is known to release criminals for the right price, Radley's had to do his own investigations."

Reginald watched how Lord Milton kept looking upstairs. He could be bored with what he was saying, or his wife was likely up there. Sitting handcuffed would be most unpleasant if she decided to come down to witness his demise. Instead of continuing his thoughts, he switched to what he considered Milton's biggest worry.

"I pity your wife," he said with compassion. As he watched, instead of looking at him, the baron looked up the stairs. Reginald wondered why she hadn't already come down. "Does she know that you had more passion for possessions than you did of her well-being?"

At last, Lord Milton's gaze met his. "You are not lacking in funds. You also weren't ignorant of the fact these items you bought were stolen. My conclusion is that you either wanted what belonged to my son, or it was just greed to obtain nice items for a cheaper price. One is covetousness, the other greed.

"What you didn't consider was the true cost of those actions. A religious man would know God holds him responsible for hurting others. It's a black mark against you. But a worldly man may see such an act can mean time in prison. Either reason is one a man should consider. But you, however, did not reflect how my son could be your biggest downfall."

Reginald watched as the baron looked away when he mentioned Radley. He shook his head slowly and straightened from leaning against the wall.

"Hopefully, your son will take care of his mother. It will crush her to watch your sentencing. No family member wants to hear that their loved one will spend years at Newgate Prison. Even if they are appalled at the crime, it is also an embarrassment. I'm afraid your title will only make it worse on your wife and son. As everyone knows, gossip runs through the elite with eagerness. Each person desires to be the first to spread such ill gossip and some exaggerating upon the facts. I'm afraid your wife will have to endure the ugly conversations if she goes to your trial.

"This, of course, will also hurt your son for a time. But the rumors won't last too long. That sort of thing dies quickly among the ton. Once it has reached everyone's ear, the fun of spreading it stops, and they move on to something new. But not for your wife, I'm afraid. No, the lifespan at Newgate prison is short. The conditions are appalling and that will weigh down on her while you are there."