Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other

"I believe you need this bath more than I do," Charlotte told Radley as he checked the water temperature in the tub.

"Are you saying I stink?" he asked with a grin.

"No... well, perhaps a little, but so do I. What I'm inferring is your need to relax and I hope to help you. That scene was most difficult on you." She turned her back to him and looked over his shoulder as she asked, "Would you please unbutton my dress?"

"Gladly. If you plan to show me relax, perhaps we should do that before we bathe." He finished opening her gown, pulled it free of her shoulders, and tugged it over her head. With a toss, it landed against the wall. Then he lifted her chemise and disposed of it in the same way. Almost naked, he pulled her knee-length pantaloons down over her long legs and kissed her thigh before that garment met with her dress.

"Your turn," she said as she began to unbutton his shirt. "How long do we have before our absence becomes significant?"

"At the moment, I don't give a damn. My plans have all been dashed against the rocks and pulverized so far, thanks to Talbot. Then, I find my father here, and I'm not in the mood to deal with him." He quickly shed his clothes and climbed into the hot water with a sigh.

"We shall allow you to rage all you wish, but for now, lean back in the water, close your eyes and relax."

He watched her kneel by his head. "Aren't you joining me?"

"Yes, but I plan to wash your hair for you first, then scrub your back. You will enjoy that."

He thought about it, then sunk his head under the water to get his hair wet. "I do believe the last time I was given a bath it was from my nursemaid."

"If you were like my younger brothers, they always bathed together. My mother would scrub them down, make soap hats on their heads, and then pour a pitcher of water over them."

A faraway look came into his eyes as he smiled. "I'd forgotten how my mother did that for us. However, I don't care to discover you are making one on my head. Just shampoo it if you please. I don't have a mirror to see it."

Charlotte giggled at his mockery. "We shall play with our children in such a way. Mother said it was the only way she got my brothers to cooperate." She poured the shampoo into her hand and began to suds his hair, and massage his scalp. He enjoyed it so much that he hummed.

When she was done, instead of pouring the water over his head, he sank under the water to quickly rinse. "I believe that is the most attention my hair has received since I went to the barber," he said using his hands to wipe his face.

"Lean forward so I can scrub your back." She suds a rag and then began to clean his back gently.

"Scrub it harder; that will feel good."

She did as he asked and put some effort into it. When she finished, his skin was pink. "Now lie back and I'll..."

He laughed at the way she began washing his arms. "I believe I am capable of doing the rest, my dear. Why don't you climb in here with me before the water becomes too filled with soap?"

She did as he asked and leaned back against his chest after sitting between his legs. "I do hope it doesn't take Dalton long to either come or send someone. Will they investigate the local magistrate?"

"Yes, after my explanation I am sure they will speak to my tenants who seem to know more about him. The main thing I am after is taking Talbot to London for trial." He took a rag and started washing her back. "This is enjoyable. Your skin is like the finest silk."

"Only because it's soft and hairless," she said looking over her shoulder. "If Owen and Michael arrive here, I do believe I shall have them escort me back to you. I'll bring towels and toiletries. Perhaps by then Lewis would have found your butler and told him you wish to have him return."