Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes

Radley led the way as they climbed the stairs. They found two of the bedrooms with furniture but no bedding. His room was stripped of everything.

"Don't expect to eat here either, Radley. They would have taken what food was in the pantry." Charlotte said, holding her stomach threatening to rebel with noises.

He closed his eyes as if trying to gain control. "I'm not sure I wish to look inside the stables. No doubt my prize horses are gone."

"One would need to be rich to buy good horses, wouldn't they? Without a sales slip..." She stopped talking because he raced down the stairs, and she quickly followed. He threw the doors open to another room near the front door and hurried inside. She looked around and saw this room had also been stripped of furniture. Without another word, he went directly to another door that hung lopsided on its hinges. The exhale whooshed out of him in a gust when he released his worry.

She peeked around him and saw a black safe, as tall as her, standing against the wall. There were dents around the combination and handle as if someone tried to get it open with a hammer. Radley stepped in front of it, spun the dial to the correct combination, and when it clicked, he pressed the handle down. It opened, and he saw the contents were still there.

"Thankfully, they were unable to get inside or move it," he told her.

"It looks too heavy to move." She stepped beside him to look inside. There were bars of gold, stacks of paperwork, and a wooden box. A velvet bag with a drawstring top sat on top of that box. Charlotte saw him grab the top of the safe's door as he stared inside with relief. She told him, "I know it's probably odd to think of this now, but how many men did it take to bring this safe inside?"

He smiled at her question. "They carted it in on a dolly the same as they would for a pianoforte. But it was steel and twice as strong. They used a hoist and frame to get it off the wagon. It was equally hard to position in this room." He knelt on the floor and opened the wooden box filled with gold and silver coins. Satisfied, he closed it and then opened the black velvet bag. He slipped his hand inside and pulled out jewelry. Charlotte gasped at the sight.

"These are now yours, my dear," he said with a smile and handed her the handful of jewels. "The heirlooms were divided between Michael and me a few years ago. He keeps them at his estate."

"Why would you say they are mine?"

"You are my wife. Those jewels you don't wish to wear can be handed down to our sons or daughters if you wish. The wedding band you wear was my mother's. I always kept it at the house in our safe there. That's why it was available to me for our marriage." He stared at a few. "Choose one for a promise ring. If I'd had some of these with me, I would have presented you with one after I seduced you."

"Radley, you speak as if you had planned on seducing me just to bring me around to marrying you."

"So I did. But you proved to me you wished it as well, my dear. Now, choose a ring you like with the band. I believe you will enjoy wearing it as much as I like seeing it on your finger."

She sat on the floor and placed the rings and other jewelry on her skirt. To her surprise, he gave her more and more until she laughed. "Do you have one you prefer, husband? A promise ring is generally chosen by her intended."

He knelt down to go through them with her. "This one is pretty if you like a rose-colored ruby." He tried it on her finger, but it was too big. "That won't do."

She picked up a garnet ring in a deep red with diamonds on either side. "This one is pretty."

He tried it on her finger and smiled when it fit. "That's an option. We won't choose a sapphire. That's what Vivian is wearing. This diamond is attractive," he said placing it on her finger. The fit was perfect.