Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock

That night, Radley and Charlotte barely arrived at the opera on time. She had been told the people attending would be as much fun to watch, and he was right. While they sat in a balcony booth, the people below visited, yelled insults towards the stage, and some threw things. Though the music and singers were acceptable, she considered those in their family to be just as accomplished.

The positive side came from the opportunity to wear her formal gown, arrive in Radley's coach, and be introduced to some of his friends as his Viscountess. They were congratulated and toasted, then invited to a ball. Radley agreed to go just because he wished to show her off. Charlotte was happier than she had ever been.

When the opera was almost over, they left to miss the crowd. They descended the stairs to their awaiting coach.

"Is the hour not late to arrive at a ball?" she asked considering what was proper once again.

"Not to worry, my dear. These things go on until the wee hours of the morning," Radley assured her.

"Am I dressed properly?"

"No, you have on too many clothes for my liking."

She grinned and slapped his knee in fun. "I have no doubts you will see to their removal later, husband."

At the sound of her addressing him in such a way, he leaned over and kissed her cheek. "As always, you look beautiful. Others cannot compare to you, my dear. We shall dance, have a bit of warm, tasteless punch, and then I will introduce you to those I know. Most of whom I have business dealings with. Their wives will be polite because you will have influence over me and I, in turn, tend to make them money," he said with a wink. "You have no need to worry about any of them."

"How do you make them rich?" she asked with surprise.

"I advise them on adventures to invest upon."

"Are you rich, Radley?"

"If I had any doubt as to why you married me, your question made it abundantly clear that it wasn't for the size of my purse. My family will never worry about finance. I am not so foolish to gamble it away with cards or unwise investments."

"I had already ascertained that about you. Though, you could play cards with me for different stakes."

His laughter bounced off the carriage walls. "We shall definitely do a bit of that on our trip to Maywood. Are you very good at the game?"

"Owen and Bennett taught me to play and then said they regretted it."

"I can imagine you would be, but I'll still win because of the desire to rid you of clothes," he said as the coach pulled to a stop. He glanced out the window to see torches lighting the walkway to the house. "Ah, we have arrived to the ball, my dear."

The coach swayed as his footman climbed down from the back of the carriage. He opened the door and prepared the steps for them to alight. After Radley helped Charlotte to descend the steps, he gave instructions to the driver. When he turned back to his bride, she was smoothing out the wrinkles.

He offered his arm, saying, "Shall we go and enjoy the festivities, my dear?"

She took his arm most formally by laying her gloved hand on top, and together they walked down the walkway to the house. The music from an orchestra could be heard over the chatter of people as they stepped inside. He removed her wrap and handed it to a servant. When they approached the door to the ballroom, Radley gave the butler their names.

In a loud voice, he said, "The Viscount of Maywood and his Viscountess."

For some reason, Radley saw her eyes filled with humor. "What has amused you, wife?"