Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers

Before going to bed, Vivian had spent the evening examining the book that Charlotte had brought her concerning the essential guide to the peerage. The beginning dealt with titles and ranks, which she already knew. What she wished to know dealt with behavior issues.

There were points on hosting and entertaining, a section on dress codes, forms of address, table manners, and formal events, but absolutely nothing concerning rules on courtship. She aggressively slammed the book closed leaving it on her desk.

As she took off her robe, she realized that most young ladies should have been taught what was in that book. Her father had made sure that her governess gave instructions on table manners, the different ranks of the peerage, and such things as using 'the' before a title, showing there were no higher-ranking members in the family.

Ben was Earl of Kendal, a lesser rank than his father, Marquess of Kensingdale. Neither one had the highest rank in the family because Lord Caldwell had an older brother who was the Duke of Farthing.

Her brother Radley was only Viscount of Maywood until he inherited their father's title, who was the Marquess of Croxley. Michael inherited his title of Viscount from his maternal grandfather, but the estate was managed by his father's golden touch. As the second son, known as the spare, if something tragic happened to Radley, which was a terrifying thought even in passing, he would inherit that title as well.

Shaking off the horror her mind had traveled to, she kicked off her slippers and crawled into bed leaning back against the pillows. She had learned behavior before she was ten-years-old. But courtship had never been discussed because her governess was dismissed two years ago.

What she was interested in learning had to deal with practical things. Could she attend the opera with Ben unescorted? When could she expect her first kiss from him? Was there a waiting period of courtship before she could be alone with him and then gain a kiss?

As it was, she would have to rely on Radley and Ben for her answers unless Charlotte knew the answers to those questions. She had a mother. Wouldn't a mother instruct her older daughter about such things?

She reached out to turn out the lamp and flopped back on her pillow to think this through. When she compared the romantic stories she read in novels to Ben, she smiled. He was boldly handsome, brought her flowers, flirted with her, and attentive enough to play with her at the park. Compared to Radley, who had treated Charlotte as if she was that wild horse Ben had mentioned, Ben was everything a girl would want.

At dinner, she had seen the expressions of dejection from Charlotte. Radley had glanced at her, but their father had ruined everything... almost. She adored the way Owen had spoken about Ben. He told her how Ben worried she would forget him. Then she learned how he had written letters to her, which he never mailed. The reason he wrote them, Owen told her, was that Ben used the letters to feel closer to her. Owen suggested she ask Ben to read them to her.

The thought of him sharing what he wrote meant she would learn what he had been thinking about at the time. She snuggled under the covers staring at the empty space beside her. Would he want the kind of marriage where they would sleep side by side or would he expect her to have her own room and stay there?

Michael told her that married couples seldom slept together. When she asked why, he had told her that few marriages were a love match. Well, Ben already loved her... but she wasn't sure if it was the same kind of love or not. In time, she would know the difference, wouldn't she?

There was the fact that men snored. She had heard her father at night and doubted anyone could sleep beside him. She giggled at the thought.

She gave the mattress a pat of her hand wondering what it would feel like to be held against Ben's body with his strong arms around her. A sigh escaped her body as she drew a pillow close to her side. The idea of what marriage could bring gave her a thrill but also hesitation.