Chapter One: The Contract

London, England, Year of Our Lord, 1825

Lord Reginald Brighton stood peering into the bassinet holding his three-month-old daughter with his friend Lord Nathan Caldwell. The babe slept soundly with her fingers curled into fists and her mouth going through the motions of nursing. Reginald ran his fingers over the loose blond curls in a loving manner. She resembled her deceased mother whom he missed terribly.

Nathan was there not only to see the babe; he had been invited to discuss a marriage contract between the infant, Vivian Elisabeth Brighton, and his first-born son, Bennett Alexander Caldwell; to whom the title of Earl of Kendal had already been bestowed.

With four sons and two daughters, and the limited coffer from the Kensingdale estate, he needed money. Bennett was in line to inherit the title of Marquess of Kensingdale upon Nathan's death. Because Reginald had inherited a fortune and had spent the majority of his lifetime increasing it, he was eager to sign the contract, even if his son was nine years her senior.

Besides the new daughter, Reginald had two sons, Radley Hershel, and Michael Phillip. Both already titled. The daughter's birth had been a most pleasant surprise. But losing his wife Elisabeth had been a devastation.

Due to Reginald's age, and recent ill health, he held concern for the future of his children. He had arranged a will and solicitor to handle the wealth for his children until they came of age, should he die. For Vivian, he wished her to have a titled husband raised with kindness and enough money to care for her. This he knew Nathan would accomplish in raising his son.

If something happened to Bennett, the second-born, Owen, would fulfill the contract. But such knowledge would not be reported until necessary.

The agreement was confirmed with a handshake. Reginald called the nurse back into the nursery. He would have the solicitor draw up the contract for them to sign.

*

London, the Year of Our Lord, 1841, sixteen years later.

Reginald sent a servant to ask Radley to join him in his study. He had the signed marital contract for Vivian and Bennett lying on his desk. The time had come to inform his son of this fact. Until this point, he had kept it a secret, though it was in his last will and testament.

It wasn't long before Radley came into the room and stood before his desk. "You wanted to see me, Father?"

"You are the heir to Croxley estates. I have shared almost everything with you in preparation for what you must know. However, there is one item you should be made aware of. You have met Lord Caldwell."

Radley nodded. "Of course, he comes to visit you often. You became close friends after he saved your life in France during the war. Does this concern him?"

"Yes."

"In what way?"

"His firstborn son, Bennett, who is Earl of Kendal." He paused to gather his thoughts while he stared at the contract in his hand. "He came with his father upon occasion and met all of you, including Vivian. Throughout the years..."

"Father, I am familiar with Bennett's visits. He was quite fond of Vivian. He often held her when she was an infant and played with her. She had one game she was most happy with. At the age of three, Vivian would swipe your spectacles from his desk and run through the house on her chubby toddler legs giggling. You would immediately give chase, as did Michael and I. But that day, Bennett played the game, and upon catching her, he tossed her high into the air to make her scream with joy and giggles. He was most fond of her," Radley said with a smile of approval.