Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness

Radley and Dalton moved to the hall and watched. Baroness Milton as she stood looking out the window for her husband. She was sobbing.

"It appears that your father has been asked to help with that situation. Come, I am sure he can handle that better than us. Let's go upstairs."

They found the back stairs and used them instead of those at the front entrance where Reginald consoled Milton's wife.

As they climbed the stairs, Dalton told him, "Finding your sheets and towels, listed here, won't be too difficult. Quint has a system. He marks the sheets on the inside corner with dots of ink to match the rooms he has numbered.

"The ones for the servants' quarters have exes, even though they are of less quality. Maids prefer the sheets they sleep on and not that of a male servant. The towels have small colored threads in the corners to represent which bathing chamber, even though the color should tell the maid, Quint said it is more efficient. He is the most organized butler I have ever seen. If he ever needs another job, I want to hire him."

Radley shook his head. "He's now my bookkeeper as well as my butler. He'll make more money working for me than anywhere else. I'll make sure of it." Suddenly, the wailing of Milton's wife was heard, and both men cringed. "I wonder how my father is surviving that."

Dalton smiled because Radley had been so furious with his father at Vivian's wedding. Now, he was showing his admiration. "He's calming her down. Listen. His training as a Marquess taught him how to handle difficult situations. He's taught you as well. It shows in your relationship with your workers.

"For now, your father will keep her company; and explain what's happened while he keeps her calm. It should be interesting to hear what she says about this. I'm sure Barrister Hollis will take notes on what she says on the case. I doubt she is aware that her new gifts in the house were bought from stolen merchandise."

They found two maids cleaning and told them to help them search through linens. A description of the dots and exes was given to them. Dalton and Radley went through all the rooms searching for other paintings. An hour later, they found various items, and they were added to the official list.

When they came downstairs, they heard soft weeping. "Is that something we have to take care of?" Radley asked with dread in his voice.

"We are finished with our search. I'll have the rest of the items packed and added to the wagon. Before we finish, your dungeon will be crowded," Dalton said as he snickered. "I am most anxious to see Magistrate Peterson's reaction when Hollis and I confront him and confiscate his records.

"I could hold him on suspicion in his own jail, but I had rather not travel back to town at this time. He and the baron can spend an uncomfortable night in your basement wearing manacles. We'll take the paperwork with us. It will fit under the seat of the prison wagon. Hollis and I can go through it at your house. It may take time, but we'll find the evidence of suspicious activity.

While we're at Maywood, we'll also search Peterson's house and see if Talbot was telling you the truth. It's possible. There is silverware still unaccounted for, and perhaps, we will find other items he wouldn't be able to afford. That will point towards bribery he's received. Though, that is highly doubtful. He is more likely to sell the items as Talbot did."

"How long will it take for you to go through all that paperwork?"

"A few days, but at this point, I'm only hoping there is paperwork to help us. If not, Hollis and I will take advantage of your hospitality while Quint sees to our needs. Though, you'll be pleased to hear that your presence will not be necessary."