Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection

The family waved goodbye to Ben and Vivian as they set out for his estate. Owen and Michael had picked flowers with Ruth for Vivian and placed the ribbon-tied bouquet on the seat.

Radley knew he needed to do something romantic for Charlotte. So far, all he had done was steal kisses and speak honeyed words to her. Since Ben had told him to buy another book on the art of love, he decided to stop and buy her candy or perhaps something frivolous like a lace handkerchief.

Recently, her constant reminders of the blasted rules of conduct had him wondering how to make her forget them. If he had his way, he would give her more intimate items... but she would most likely throw them back in his face.

He knew that part of his problem dealt with his sexual reaction to her. But what man didn't want what he couldn't have? Her attitude, rebellion, and staunch protocol, when he allowed her to get by with it, hadn't done anything but drive him to the point of remaining sexually stimulated.

"What has you frowning, Radley," Charlotte asked as she wrapped her hand around his arm.

"If I confessed the truth, you would smack me," he said tightening his arm to his side to capture her hand. "It's time we left for my house. Michael and I need to pack and you can see to directing the maids as they gather Vivian's belongings."

"You're finally agreeing to allow me to help?" When he gave her a crooked grin, she sighed as she allowed him to lead her towards the house. "Who's packing her library? I still don't know where we shall find room for her book collection."

Ruth heard her as she stepped over to join them. "The attic. I will be going home to stay and I'm taking my art with me. We can store her books in there until Ben orders shelves built.Owen promised to come for me next spring for a visit, but I won't be bringing my paints with me."

Charlotte detected the sadness in her eyes. "You will have school and be with your friends." Ruth nodded her head but was far from excited."You know how much Mother has missed you. It's not the same for her when you're gone. Chad will be graduating from Oxford this year and Arnold will be going back to school."

"Will they be moving here to London after they graduate, do you suppose?"

Charlotte shrugged. "Ben has not confided in me about their plans. However, he does plan to stay in Kendal with Vivian for a while."

"What will you do, Charlotte? Will you come home to Kensingdale to live with us?"

Radley put his arm around Charlotte. "She will make that decision later, Ruth. For now, hurry inside and make sure there is room for Vivian's books. Have a maid clean the space and prepare sheets to cover the crates of books."

Ruth smiled. "Yes, I shall do that right away," she turned on her heels and hurried away.

Charlotte's brow drew down. "Dare I ask why you stopped me from answering her?"

"Because now isn't the time," he said stalling her. He wanted time to speak with her about any decisions she made.

"Ruth tends to worry about the future." She moved out from under his arm and started towards the house to go back inside. "I need to change into a riding skirt."

Radley followed her. "We should talk about what could happen if my father arrives unexpectedly before we can escape."

She paused at the bottom of the stairs. "What will he do?"

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm unsure but yelling at me will be part of it."

The corner of her mouth twitched as she asked, "Will you yell back?"