11- The Left Arm

One reason so many soldiers died in the Titan's attack on Trost was the absence of the elite Survey Corps. Only that morning, they had embarked on a reconnaissance mission beyond the walls.

A few hours earlier

"They're here! The main force of the Survey Corps! Commander Erwin, kill the Titans for us!" A member of the crowd shouted.

"Look, it's Captain Levi! They say he's as strong as an entire brigade." Some shouted causing the crowd to stare at the man on a black horse with a scowl on his face. "Shut up." He muttered to himself. "I bet they wouldn't worship you so much if they knew you were a clean freak. It's burst their bubble." Hange replied.

As the gate lifted, Hange let out a squeal. "The Titans are right outside....What kind of Titan will we see this time? It'd be so great if we saw an abnormal!" They said with a smile on their face. "We have one right here." Levi replied. "Huh? Where?" Hange said looking around. Levi then placed his hand on top of their head and turned them to face him. "Right here."

"Forward!" Commander Erwin shouted.

Survey outlying areas and establish supply points that would support a human advance. Being entrusted with these missions, the Survey Corps receives the best humanity has to offer. The military genius of a select few within their ranks has greatly boosted their survival rate. But even so, every excursion into Titan territory costs over thirty percent of their troops. The difference in strength between humans and Titans is that great.

"Just you wait...It won't be long before humanity wipes you out! We'll be the ones to survive in the end!" A soldier said. He had been caught by a Titan that was now gnawing on him. He then took the broken sword in his hand and stabbed it into the Titan's face causing the Titan to bite down on him. "Captain Levi will...kill you all!" He shouted.

As he said that Levi struck his grappling hook into a building and headed over to where the Titan had the soldier in its mouth, slicing the nape in one clean hit. "One on the right. Two on the left." Levi said, landing on a roof. "Captain the reinforcements are here sir!" Petra said landing on the roof as well with two soldiers behind her.

"Good. Tend to our comrade below, Petra. You two, take out the Titan to your right. The pair on the left belongs to me." Levi said before jumping off the roof. "Captain wait!" Petra shouted.

Hange zoomed over to a building where a Titan had crashed through in an attempt to eat two soldiers. "YAHHOOO" They yelled landing on a roof. "Don't be scared big guy! I won't hurt you, cross my heart and hope to die!" They continued with their arms opened wide. When the Titan made an attempt to catch Hange, they jumped out of the way letting out a cackle. "Points for trying but you're a little slow on the uptake!" Hange said slicing through the nape, and landing on the ground, a splotch of blood on their cape. "See? Bet you barely felt a thing."

"I know you probably can't help being hideous." Levi said, landing on a roof and casually walking towards the two Titans. "But I can't help being tired of looking at you." He said, jumping off as a Titan leaned forward to bite him, his grappling hook latched onto a nearby building. Levi then went in to slice the nape before landing on a ledge and jumping off once again to face the second Titan. He quickly threw his two swords at the Titan's eyes before landing on its head. "Uh oh. Easy big stuff. Nobody's got time for a crybaby." Levi said, pulling out two other swords. "Let's take it like a man shall we?" He said jumping up and slicing the Titan's nape in a spin attack, and quickly landing on a roof in a flip.

When he looked down at his hands, he saw that his handle, as well as his hand, were covered in blood. "Tch. Disgusting." He said, taking out a cloth to clean his hand.