43- Choices

Marlo and Hitched walked alone together in the forest as they looked for the rogue Scouts. They kept their guns close to their bodies."Don't you think they have us spread out a little too much?" Hitch asked.

"We're more likely to find them if we're not all in the same area." Marlo responded. His eyes were dead set on the area in front of him. Hitch looked around as well, scanning the area for any signs of suspicion.

"But why'd I have to get paired up with you of all people? Spill it, Marlo, you scheme this up so we'd get some alone time?" Hitch teased.

"Look, Hitch. No offense, but you weren't my first choice either." Marlo said.

"Is that right? Well good for you then." Hitch scoffed.

"Anyway doesn't this seem odd to you? Why would the Scouts murder a civilian and run for the hills? This is the same group of soldiers who consistently risk their lives for the sake of humanity." Marlo said.

Hitch glared at him as he talked. "Give me a break, did you forget? Think about what they did to Stohess. The way they turned it into a battlefield. How many dead bodies do you think we carried. Annie's been missing ever since. They still haven't taken her junk out of my room, it's annoying." She said.

"But in doing so the Scouts a Titan in hiding, and took it prisoner. I highly doubt the Military Police could have done that. How is disbanding the Scouts what's best for humanity?" Marlo said. He was talking to himself more than to Hitch.

There was a small sound, but it caught Hitch's ear. She pulled out her gun and aimed in the direction the sound had come from. "Be quiet." She told Marlo who also pulled out his gun. "Listen closely."

The sound of someone collecting water into a bucket could be heard. One of the Scouts was wearing a hood as they collected water to take back to the camp.

"Don't move!" Marlo ordered as he and Hitch approached the rogue Scout with their guns pointed. "Turn around, slowly."

The soldier stood up and raised his arms in the air. "You must be a Scout." Marlo said through gritted teeth. As the Scout turned around it was Armin that stood in front of them. "Not a sound, don't say a word. Now listen, and do exactly as I instruct."

From up in the trees Mikasa and Captain Levi ambushed the two MPs. They held their swords close to the necks of the soldiers. "That's the way. Now hand your guns to the one in front." Levi said.

Hitch and Marlo handed their guns over to Armin who took them with haste. "Don't say a word right?" He said, repeating the same words they had spoken to him only moments ago.

Capital Mitras

Erwin Smith sat in the dugeons of the castle as he waited for his fate to be determined. His cell door was suddenly opened by one of the lords. "Sorry to keep you waiting, Erwin. I know this is sudden, but it's time for your interrogation." The lord said.

Outside, the Commander of the Military Police was giving an interview to a journalist. "So, the Survey Corp murdered a civilian in cold blood? You're sure about this?" The journalist asked. He had a much younger reporter with him as well who he was training.

"I'm told that the evidence is strong. But, with that said, I can't confirm anything I haven't seen." Nile Dawk replied.

"So then, the Interior Police are running this case without oversight?" The young reporter exclaimed.