22- Loss

The Scouts were riding on horseback out of the forest while Erwin explained his theory. "When the Colossal Titan breached the wall and disappeared, theoretically whoever was inside had 3DM Gear. They could have used it and escaped before the steam cleared. It's possible the same thing happened here." Erwin stated.

"I don't see how, sir. Based on Eren's condition when he emerged from Titan form, I think it's safe to assume something like that is highly unlikely. His equipment was broken, parts of his uniform were missing, more importantly Eren was so spent he couldn't even stand on his own two feet without assistance." Hange said. "The Female Titan's ability to summon reinforcements was unlike anything we've encountered before. Our failure to anticipate that factor cost us the operation. Evidently there are different levels to mastery to the Titan ability. We were naive to think that a mere novice like Eren would set the standard. If we're to stop this enemy, it's clear now that we'll need to broaden our way of thinking." Erwin said.

Jean and Armin were in a field on horseback. "So if we're going home that means the operation was a success, right?" Jean asked. Armin thought about Jean's question before he answered him. "Hopefully so. If that is the case then thag might mean they already discovered the Female Titan's identity." Armin said. Other soldiers from their squad caught up to the two of them and were now riding behind them. "I wouldn't mind knowing that myself. Still, I'm impressed with the Commander. How'd he know she's come after us once we took Eren beyond the wall?" Jean questioned.

"Think about it. During the Trost invasion, did it strike you as odd the way the Titans suddenly halted their advancement mid-way through? They must have intended some purpose when they destroyed the gate. But they never made a move on the inner gate. Nor did they interfere with Eren when he sealed the breach. Perhaps something happened which made them reevaluate their plan entirely." Armin said. "And what would that be?" Jean asked. "Something drew their focus away from the wall's destruction. Something forced them to call off the attack." Armin said.

Jean looked at Armin with shock. "You mean Eren's transformation?" He asked. "That's the most logical conclusion." Armin replied. "Wait, but then that would mean..." Jean started. "It means they were there. Whoever called off the attacks saw Eren transform. It means the enemy is one of us." Armin said.

Deep within the forest, the mysterious hooded figure was traveling through the trees as fast as they could. Gunther's body was swinging from a tree as Eren stared at it. "Gunther!" He shouted as Y/n tugged on his arm trying to get him to keep moving. "Eren, c'mon! We don't have time he's dead!" Y/n shouted. She was doing her best to keep herself from crying as she stared at the corpse. Behind them Oulo was making his way towards them, grabbing at the back of Eren's cloak to get him to start moving.

"Go kid, c'mon! Keep moving!" Oulo shouted throwing Eren forward. Y/n was following just behind Eren as he let out a scream. "We're, we're just leaving him?" He shouted. "Eren, we don't have a choice right now! We gotta keep moving!" Y/n shouted back at him. Suddenly, the hooded figure appeared near them.

"Who is that?" Petra shouted. "Keep them away from Eren!" Eld instructed. "Dammit! Hey Eld what are we doing huh?" Oulo shouted. "There isn't time to get the horses! Make for HQ at full speed!" Eld instructed. He started using more gas to speed up. The mysterious hooded figure also sped up.

"Is that the Female Titan? Or did she have an accomplice?" Oulo asked. "Damn, whoever it is, they're gonna pay even if it's the last thing I do!" Petra shouted. She had turned around so that she was facing the direction the figure had run off too. Eren also turned around at Oulo's words. The Female Titan? No, that can't be right! I thought we caught her.

The hooded figure went behind the trees and were unable to be seen by the squad. They all waited for them to come back out again.

"We have to consider that if the enemy was still able-bodied, then it's entirely possible they can make the Titan appear as well." Erwin said on horseback to Hange.