17.3 ▌Banquet in Flamion

IF ELISE had always been astounded by Aya's ability in make-up, her current look was enough to render her speechless this time. They were using different tools and products from what she was used to but it achieved similar results or maybe even more.

The dark brown shadows gradient to a lighter shade with the corners casting a soft glitter. Aya lined her eyes with black pigment, lifting the downturned shape. It was followed by false eyelashes which she was quite surprised to see. The contours on her face made her skinnier and jaw lines prominent but it appeared so natural. It was far from what she expected.

Especially the hair. They had something akin to a curling rod and Dell was using it to make big lush waves. Her maid draped it to the side and a bedazzled hair decoration was put on the other to keep her hair in place.

The whole look was completed by a set of jewelry, which according to Faylinn, was a morganite. Its pink hues totally matched the peach dress she was wearing.

After everything was done, she stood up and departed the room only to see Aricson waiting for her.

"You're..." He gave her a full scan and did not even bother hiding the admiration. "...Beautiful."

"Thanks. You're not so bad yourself," she returned.

His attire did not change from his every day long coats and vest but it was indeed true he was more dashing than usual. The black pants and vests and the white inner shirt were the same but he was wearing a cravat today. It was more of a maroon that matched the coat which was outlined by silver embroideries.

His hair had been pulled back smoothly, allowing his ears to be exposed but this time his hairstyle emphasized the earring on his right side. It was a carved black feather that was decorated with red jewels.

"Where's the necklace I gave you?" he inquired, his eyelids peering to her neck.

"Faylinn said it didn't match so she let me borrow hers for tonight."

"I see. Don't forget to put it on again after," he said and offered his arm which she gladly took.  "I'll escort you downstairs."

THE CENTRAL Wing which was normally empty was now flocked with people from both ends. It was then that Elise who had gotten so used to going through these corridors perceived that she forgot that this was the way leading to the grand staircase descending to the hall. One that served parties such as this one.

"Aricson..." she called.

She glimpsed at the colorful mass below and back to him. It was indeed a party with numerous guests but she did not imagine it was such a large scale. 

"What?"

"I think we should use the other stairs and enter through the lobby?"

Elise already surrendered to the idea of getting attention with him on her side but she was not ready to be a spectacle if they both trod the stairs together. Just thinking about it was enough to make her uncomfortable.

"Alright."

She breathed a sigh of relief. She was set to confront him if he persisted just like he did in the morning but thankfully, he was in his right mind this time.

They walked past the stairs and took a turn on the corner, going to the farther route to the lobby. By the time they reached the venue, she had already prepared herself for the unwanted gazes.

Both of them entered but regardless of the number of people scattered in the room, heads still turned towards them. Her grasp drew taut, making small creases on Aricson's sleeve.