03.1 ▌Her New Reality

UPON SEEING the exact painting of the waterfall landscape, Elise finally accepted that she was lost.

How she regretted asking Erkhan to leave her alone. But, her agitation could not be eased in that room, and made another wrong move — one that was incredibly stupid — by wandering around.

She heaved a sigh, looking at the glistening rays of light from the arched windows hitting the marbled floors lined with expensive-looking carpet.

It was not just the room she woke up earlier that looked fancy. Every single thing her eyes laid on clearly showed how rich the owners were. She could fairly guess that this was not just a mere house based on her surroundings. It was not a mansion either but a freaking palace!

Door after door and there was no one. She could not even find the stairs, further proving how humongous the place was. She turned right then entered the only remaining door in the corridor. Clutching her rumbling stomach from all the pointless walking, she climbed up to the bed. The velvety sheets and soft pillows were so comfortable that she was reminded of her bed.

'Dear gods. I even miss my bed.'

She wanted to go home but how? She did not understand why this was happening. Her whole plans were disrupted and had no idea where to fix it first. It was just like the time her brothers treated her as a guinea pig when she was young with no notion of what was going on.

If those brothers of hers did not burst into her bedroom with their freaking gadget, she would have been on the verge of completing her experiment, back in the safety of her own home. Yet their revolting creations were always the bane of her existence.

Nonetheless, she would gladly endure their mischievous pranks if she could return right away. A week hadn't even passed but she missed them already. She seldom saw their faces when she was busy at her work or confined in her bedroom but there was the reassurance that she could see them anytime she wanted. However, that was completely gone as a realization crept into her mind.

Elise was completely alone in this world with no clue how to solve her current situation. She had no one but herself. If she told someone her circumstance, would they even believe her? Could these people around her be trusted? Would they help her?

She let out a deep breath and studied the room. From all the interiors that she had seen, this was also well decorated. It had a masculine touch on it with shades of red, brown, and black. Paintings — from portraits to landscapes — decorated almost the entirety of the wall. Right then, she remembered the incident in the museum.

"If this is truly real..."

Crazy ideas swirled on her mind to the endless possibilities on how such a cliché plot became her reality.

'Of all people, why me?

Elise could not grasp a reason when she was not even the type to be engrossed in fiction. The only novels she had read were all her mom's works. Although she did enjoy watching movies, she much preferred spending her time reading the thick hardbound books filled with all the medical knowledge she craved.

She inhaled a deep breath, her gaze landing on the opened window. The soft breeze was so inviting that she couldn't help but yawn. Her eyes drooped and unknowingly fell into slumber.

SOMEONE WAS staring at her. Elise stood right up as red irises met hers. She instantly berated herself on how she even fell asleep in a stranger's room. She ran her hands all over her body again and sighed in relief when there was nothing wrong.

The person cleared his throat, catching Elise's attention. He was the handsome man from earlier, only that, he was presently showcasing his body with a mere towel covering him.

She blatantly checked him out. After experiencing different cases at the hospital, one cannot be easily fazed by half-naked men.

The guy had the muscles in the right places. Not too buff and not too skinny either. In addition, he was extra fine in her eyes with his damp red hair and fresh look from the bath.

'If I remembered correctly, his name was Brennan.'

"—here?"

"Sorry, what was that?" she asked, after being so distracted from the view.

"I'm asking you, what are you doing here?" He had his hand on his hips as he questioned me. His brows crinkled while his lips formed a thin line.

Elise almost got distracted again so she quickly answered while getting up from the bed, "I got lost."

"That Erkhan. I told him to call me when you wake up." She heard him grumble.

"Erkhan? You mean the eyepatch guy?"

Their gazes locked for a whole second before he nodded.

"He did call you. We met a while ago, right?"

A breath left his mouth but he stilled as if he realized something. "Get out."

His words took her aback. Elise was used to being treated as someone important. No one ever told her to 'get out'.

"Aren't you rude?" Elise's brows scrunched.

"This is my room," he stated like it was common sense.

"Then,  you should try to phrase it politely."

"Why should I be polite when you are the one trespassing?" he prompted with a wry voice, his expression impassive.

"I told you, I got lost."

He let out another sigh. "I'm going to get dressed. Do you plan on watching?"

That made the corners of her lips lift. The dour look on his face was paired with that deep baritone. He was like a straight-laced guy, quite different from the man she met a while ago.

"If I could..." she teased and dragged her words.

"But I remembered I'm starving," she added, rubbing her stomach to emphasize her point.

The man stared at her, deadpanned. He seemed different but she was sure he was the handsome man she met earlier.

Elise wanted to provoke him more but she suddenly remembered he mentioned a lover. How she wanted to slap herself for being flirty with someone taken.

She experienced a lot of drama way back in college and she vowed never to get involved with anyone who was already attached. She was thinking he had undoubtedly felt awkward during their exchange, or worst, disgust.

"Um, sorry," she mumbled a small apology.

He just sighed once again. He pressed his hands on her shoulder before swerving her body. Both his palms rested on her back then pushed her to the door without saying anything.

"Wha—"

"Ferios," he spoke and followed by incoherent words.

A ball of fire appeared out of nowhere. It was floating in midair and glowed so brightly. Her breathing quickened in a second.

"How in the world did that happen? What did you do?"

He ignored her outburst, and with a demanding tone, pointed at the fire. "Follow that orb and it will lead you to Erkhan."

"