13.1 ▌Memories of the Rain

Year 3988, 27th Day of the 8th Moon
Fliamma Kingdom, Continent of Humana

WHAT GREETED Aricson upon entering his study was a frail figure waiting for him. The man blended with the deep-colored interiors due to his all-black clothing that only showed his eyes, an outfit perfect for his role as an emissary of the Guardian knights.

"Greetings, sire."

"You're much early today. Have you completed your assignment?"

Salve nodded and handed a folder after Aricson sat down.

"Have a seat as well," he offered and started reading the report.

Aside from the man Aricson had killed, he learned that there were also similar situations from the past month. They attacked only small towns which were very far from the city but near to the shores going to their island.

"This is a grave matter, Salve. I wish to discuss this with the Association as soon as possible," he commented. "But first, I need you to send this report to the King of Valies this afternoon."

"Of course, sire. As for the case of Miss Elise, some of the Guardians have returned and found no vital information," Salve informed.

His brows knitted together. Elise's situation was a blank slate. If he had not witnessed her actions and knowledge that was very different from what he knew, he might think she was lying.

'How can there be no trace of her appearance and why was she sent here?'

"But if I may presume, sire, there was something that was bothering me. Based on the incident from a week ago, people like them had appeared when we were starting our investigation on Miss Elise."

He set down the papers, propping his chin as his face darkened. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, sire. We had asked around and it began during the last week of the 7th moon."

The room went silent while Aricson pondered Salve's conclusion. There was no one searching for Elise but the appearance of these unknown people could be more related than he had expected.

This solidified the fact that Elise was certainly targeted that day. But what made him more puzzled was how the man had trespassed the island unnoticed just like how Elise had arrived on Ember Isle.

"Explain the situation to Uncle Orin and tell him to increase the watch on the island," he ordered and dismissed him.

Aricson relaxed on his chair as he recalled the accident a week ago and he could not stop the fear of what if he ever arrived too late. In a short period, he slowly realized that Elise had become important to him.

Just a thought of her getting hurt made his mind go wild which was unbecoming of him. These kinds of emotions were reserved for his family yet she invoked them easily. The only difference was he did not view her in a familial way. He just hoped that this would not become more for he was afraid he could not let go of her the moment she had to leave this world.

 He just hoped that this would not become more for he was afraid he could not let go of her the moment she had to leave this world