22.2 ▌Ink Plume

Year 3988, 30th Day of the 9th Moon
Continent of Humana

A MISSIVE lay open on Aricson's table. It was a confirmation of the summit meeting he had requested. If not for the accident last time, he doubted the Association would urgently move.

It was a blessing in disguise in more ways than one as his gaze traveled towards Elise who was observing the changes on the glass bottle.

They were supposed to go out today but Gerald came and urgent matters that needed to be resolved could not be delayed further. In addition, the summit would be held this afternoon.

Elise suddenly looked up. Their eyes met and a ghost of a smile appeared on her face before she returned to what she was doing.

But his remained on hers. Even with their distance, he could freely watch her every action. Brennan told him it was a foolish move to stay with her and his twin was right. He would always have moments of staring blankly at her yet he could commend how undistracted Elise was no matter what.

Her stool creaked and it was followed by the pounding of plants on stone. A sound that he had been accustomed to and for an unknown reason, relaxed him.

The longer he stared at her, the augmenting feeling of change was still there.

It started yesterday and he could not determine what was wrong. Before, there was always a preconceived idea in the back of his mind that Elise was perfect but now she was...

'... more real.' He was not sure if it was the proper word but that was the only thing that came to him. It was as if his heart had been relieved and his eyes had been cleared.

Perhaps their intimacy that night uncovered something in her. Memories flashed and his cheeks heated up but outwardly, nothing was amiss with his flawless poker face.

Aricson stood up, walking in Elise's direction.

"Do you want to go to Vesfrost with me?" he questioned.

Elise's lashes fluttered as he glanced up. "Okay, but what will we do there?"

"I have to attend a summit meeting and I was thinking of bringing you along. Faylinn has also been stationed there so I can drop you off with her then we can go look around when I'm done. I heard Aqua City has a picturesque view at night."

"Oh, then what time shall we leave? Can I finish this first?"

He nodded. "We can leave after lunch so take your time."

Her lips tilted up and he returned to his seat, more motivated to finish his duties on time.