16.4 ▌The Overseers of Elith

THE STRUCTURE reminded Elise of the mythological movies she had watched. Opened hallways and large columns with vaulted high ceilings were exactly identical to those temples of the gods. With her clothes, she, herself, felt like one.

The two women stopped in their tracks and so did she. What was in front of her could not simply be described as a mere door. To be more apt to its size, it could pass off as a gate. It elongated more than six feet and expanded twice a regular double door.

"Please enter, Miss."

The pairs of tiny limbs easily opened the door with no apparent effort. She stepped inside, her bare feet scarcely creating a sound.

The sizzle of fire stood at the center. The golden torch blazed with clear flames, appearing more golden the longer she stared. The color was almost similar to the blonde strands of the woman kneeling below.

"Hello," she said.

The woman stood up and whirled on her heels. It was the same woman who received them earlier.

"Greetings, child of Humana. Please come here."

Elise followed and climbed the altar located right at the center. The roaring of fire became louder the higher she ascended.

"I am Alydia. You are?" she asked when she reached her side.

"Elise."

"Alright, Elise. Please put the badge on the cresset and don't be alarmed after what will happen next."

"Huh?"

Alydia gave no more explanation as she tiptoed to reach the torch and dropped the badge. The fire raged and it formed into a single ray before descending in her direction.

"Ah!"

The flames struck Alydia and Elise could not stop screaming, her butt landing on the floor with the sudden fright. Her eyes shut close in panic as her hands were gripping the edge of the altar.

'Why didn't anyone warn me about this?!' She immediately steeled herself. There was no use being stuck in fear when someone was probably being burned alive right in front of her.

But before she could open her eyes, a masculine voice chimed in.

"Oho, another child has come."

That instantly made her lashes flutter. Alydia was indeed surrounded by fire but there were no changes on her. In fact, the flame appeared like an aura from an animated fantasy movie.

She had seen this kind of light when she witnessed fading but this was robust and more vivid.

"She's different."

"A unique being indeed."

"What is your question, child?"

From an elderly to a kid's cheery tone, different voices spoke but it all came from Alydia's mouth. Elise was not able to stand up yet with her current situation, she doubted her knees would stop buckling.

If the scene was changed into an abandoned basement, this would surely creep her whole life.

"Child, your question."

"We're waiting."

"I told you, she's different."

"She's the only one who met us."

Elise forced herself to stand up. She had already formulated the most direct question in her head.

"How can I go back to my world?"

"The last flame ignites the land of Humana
A path should open for the bearer of fate
And only a new fire can light the way."

Their voices overlapped and she was left in a stupor. She was expecting it with the whole set but she was still caught off guard hearing, from what she could fathom, a prophecy.

"Write, child."

"How naïve."

"Don't ask us again when you forget."

"Humans are always forgetful."

Now she realized why she needed the paper. She hurriedly wrote what they said.

"Thank you!" she uttered her gratefulness and clutched the paper in her chest. Now she had to decode this and she could find herself back at her home. Yet reluctance panged in her heart.

"Good luck, child."

"Send the child of Flamion here."

"Tell the knights it is the will of the Overseers."

"We wait for his arrival."

Their voices distracted her and she coerced herself to clear her mind. She delivered their words once she was out and several minutes later, Aricson was hastening towards her.

"What happened?"

She stared blankly at him for a while. So much about forgetting when she was always drooling over Aricson's appearance. With only a white piece of clothing on him, he could be mistaken for a heavenly being. The sculpted superior features should only be depicted as a god's appearance.

"Elise?" He cupped her cheeks as their gazes locked.

"Um, they are asking for you inside."

"Is it true?"

"Yes."

"I see. You can go ahead first. I'll be back," he said.

A soft peck landed on her forehead and he disappeared behind the closed doors.