Chapter 15: The Party

"What? A plus one is your way of convincing us to go?" Monday set down her spoon and pushed her plate forward. Leave it to Mr. Park to ruin what could have been a decent dinner. Of course he invited them over for a reason other than spending time together. "I'll pass."

"I would prefer that you reconsider, Jimin."

"No, no." She swiped at the air, declined his offer again. "Pretty sure I have vocal lessons that day anyway."

"I'm sure those could be canceled and rescheduled for another day."

"Cancel her vocal lessons? Never thought you would've said something like that." Yeji snorted at their stepfather's words, earned a glare in her direction. She let her own silverware slip out of her hands, fall down on the plate with a loud clank. "Aren't you the one who always says there's room for improvement?"

"Watch yourself, Yeji."

"Are you threatening my sister?" The chair under San flew back harshly, voice bitter as he stood up, certainly in no mood to joke around. On the other hand, Monday didn't like the tenseness around the dinner table. Her fingers reached for her sister's arm, and that was enough to get the latter to act.

"San? Please sit." Yeji spoke up for her little sister. That trace of fear in the youngest's eyes bothered her. She gently held her brother's wrist, silently pleading for him to back down, and thankfully, he did.

"Yeji will be attending. She even suggested she could sing a song before the other performers." Mr. Park grinned, and it pissed everyone off to see his confidence endured. "Won't you accompany her?"

"Are you really going?"

Monday's head snapped in her older sister's direction, and Yeji doesn't like how concerned the girl's voice sounds. "I am."

"But why?"

Why?

The answer was simple. Their stepfather had no shame in constantly reminding Yeji that she and her siblings would be nothing without him. He never failed to make her feel like she owed him her life for doing what any guardian is meant to do, as if putting a roof over their head, keeping them fed, supporting their passions, etc., were things only he could've provided.

She kept her conversations with Mr. Park to herself. They were something she wouldn't say out loud, not to the two currently beside her nor most others. The fear of what the consequences might be if they somehow convinced her she owed him nothing swallowed her whole, consumed her will to act before she ever had a chance to flinch. He was too manipulative.

"To promote the movie while it's in production. Many well-known people will be there."

"Oh."

It didn't take long for her siblings to jump on board after that dull excuse. Both Yeji's siblings eventually agreed so she wouldn't be alone, as predicted by Mr. Park.

"Who did Monday invite?"

"I'm not sure," Yeji responded, her attention obviously divided. She was busy fidgeting with the silverware on the table cloth, letting it fall in and out of her hands. She has too much on her mind, is torn back and forth between the benefits and downsides of apologizing to Ryujin.