Chapter 24: Troubled Past

"So... "

"So?" Ryujin settles on a chair outside, Monday relaxing in the chair Yeji was originally sitting in before either of them entered the pool. Monday had just plopped her phone down on the surface of the patio's table, delivered a quick text to someone, namely Wooyoung, her brother's best friend.

Why did she do this?

Because she's not stupid. She knew of both her sibling's interest in Ryujin. Not that she's playing favorites or anything, but the distinction between San's and Yeji's liking varied drastically. San simply finds Ryujin admirable whereas Yeji is completely mesmerized, captivated by someone who has been a constant figure in her life. In simple words, the cat-eyed girl is, well, whipped. If San were to get denied by Ryujin, he would ultimately move on, presumably in a heartbeat. On the contrary, had Yeji been rejected, she'd be miserable. She can tell whose feelings are stronger by the way both individuals talk about Ryujin.

Monday invites Wooyoung without warning anyone first. She tells the young man to come to Yeji's house and fetch pizza, takeout, or any type of dish, whatever he decides is best so long as he gets here quick enough. Ryujin insisted they turn this into a party of four when she arrived, but why not add a plus one? She's confident Wooyoung will put up with San, reel him back in whenever he rudely oversteps.

"You and my sister, huh?"

"What do you mean?"

"You two are... " Monday brings both index fingers together, and wiggles her brows teasingly, puckers her lips, and makes a kissy face. "Together?"

"Uhhhh... "

.

.

.

"You're fucking disgusting, San."

"Excuse me?" His glare endures, grows harsher with each passing second. He feels betrayed, misled, like his sister went behind his back while he was evidently making an effort to get her co-star's attention. He's made it obvious from the very start, and he can't believe that Yeji of all people would do such a thing to him.

"Don't you EVER look at her like that again." She demands bitterly. It's not up for debate. She won't allow him to disrespect her girlfr—actually, 'Is she my girlfriend?' Yeji mentally implores, face blank for a moment before she refocuses on the predicament at hand.

"Look at her like what??"

"Like she's some sort of prey, how else?!"

"You have no business telling me what to do." San's voice gets deeper, symbolizing his annoyance. He finds this entire situation ridiculous. Did he not technically call dibs? Why did she lie and tell him all it is was them pretending? Was Yeji merely busy trying to smooth-talk the particular Shin behind the scenes while giving him false hope just so she can rub it in his face afterward? These were the kind of questions foolishly running through his mind. No rational part of his brain was reminding him how much his sister cares about him to ever do such a thing. "You know I'm into Ryujin. You're in the wrong for going after her. Hell! You even gave me advice while I was clearly trying to score a date!"

"I hardly told you anything! In case you didn't notice, I was upset that day!"

"So?? What does that have to do with this??"

Fuming, Yeji stands her ground, hands balled into fists as she grips the towel around her shoulders much tighter. "You ever wonder why dad hated her so much??"

"What does that have to do with this too??" San's brows meet in the center, confusion for several moments while the silence lingers.

Truthfully, it's not the only reason, but Yeji doesn't know that. All she knows is that her loving Ryujin of all people indeed makes Mr. Park loathe the young Shin's existence even more...