Chapter 40: 'Tis the Season

it's been over a month, i know. pls forgive me

"Can we talk?"

Oh no. Bundled together, those words hardly ever spark anything pleasant. As a matter of fact, Yeji would consider herself a fool to not understand it implies her partner has been worried for a while now.

A chunk of her heart crumbles at the thought. How anxious has Ryujin been? She noticed, of course, but wasn't sure yet if it was the unbearable type or purely the result of the movie premiere. Gosh, she should've mentioned it sooner, or at least done a better job at hiding it to avoid Ryujin feeling this down. What on earth was she thinking?

Yeji had hoped she could wait it out. She prayed she could set it to the side until it became absolutely necessary later this evening. And now it has. Ryujin evidently can't wait any longer. She's reached a tipping point, feels trapped in a room that only Yeji can provide a way out of.

Yes. Here and now, she'll have an answer... but will it ruin her day?

Hopefully not.

"Of course. Anything." The redhead nods hurriedly. Hesitance might cause Ryujin to feel even more uneasy, which is something she does not want. If she must confess, she will... Still, for now, she'd like Ryujin to say what's worrying her upfront rather than taking a guess herself. If she can manage to avoid the topic, she would like to. "What is it?"

"It's just... " Ryujin decides to just rip the bandaid right off. There's no reason to beat around the bush. Besides, time isn't on their side. Guests could show up any minute now, further delaying the conversation. "Would you have told me?"

"Would I have told you?" Yeji questions, utterly confused, and it sure shows. This isn't the way she guessed the conversation would start. Maybe it is about something different than she initially thought. "I'm not sure I understand what you mean."

"I mean if I wasn't there to find you that day and someone else was... " Ryujin cringes at the possibility, unsure if asking this might lead to some temporary issues with trust. It's not that she doesn't believe what Yeji says is true. There's no logical reason for Yeji to lie about anything.

However, her girlfriend also doesn't differ from her movie character that much. If there truly is a lie, surely there were no ill intentions.

"Would you have told me what happened?" She finishes.

"Yes," Yeji answers, no hesitation.

"A- and the results?"

"I would've told you." She confirms, voice steady and unwavering. "I would've mentioned it as soon as I could, not keep you waiting, regardless if you were present or not."

"Even if the results came out differently?"

"Yes. No matter what the outcome was. We've both been through a lot already, haven't we? I wouldn't have the heart to keep something like that from you." Yeji pauses, contemplating the reasons behind the necessity to ask these questions. During this time, her girlfriend doesn't speak another word. Actually, she's rather quiet. The crease in her brows suggests her mind is running wild, though, a stark contrast from the silence lingering in the air. "Ryujin, " she sighs, aware a particular film is fresh in their minds, "is the movie getting to you?"

"Maybe a little."

"But I'm not sick. You were the first to see the results."

"Would you believe my thoughts went as far as fabrication?" Ryujin attempts to laugh the question off, but the worry in those cat-like eyes only worsens. She sighs this time, eyes shut while she collects herself. "Look, I know I was the first to know but... I guess since we acted it out, it makes it feel possible." Hands trembling, her brows furrow when Yeji reaches to calm the shaking. "If that even justifies what I'm saying."