Epilogue.

Ashtyn~

Watching the lanterns as they float into the sky, I remember everything that's gotten me to this moment. All the people, the places, the pain, the heartache, countless fuck-ups, and lessons learned, and I'm grateful to be able to start this next chapter of my life. Looking around at all the people surrounding us, they all look in awe at the beauty of the sky lit up with the paper lanterns as they float away. My eye's finally land on him.

Grabbing a lighter and the lantern I'd set aside, I make my way through the crowd of my guests, thanking them as they congratulate me. Once I finally get to him, I tap his shoulder to get his attention. Turning, Christian smiles at me before his eyes land on the lantern. He looks back at me and I nod towards the pier. Christian takes a breath before letting his date know he's stepping aside for a minute as he follows me to the pier.

Neither of us has much to say as we get some time alone to pay the smallest tribute to our baby girl taken far too soon. Once we get to the end of the pier, I take my shoes off and set them to the side, pulling my dress up so I can dangle my feet into the water. Christian does the same, only rolling his pants up rather than a dress.

"She'd be seven already," I comment as he gets set.

"I know," He replies, helping hold the lantern up while I try and get the lighter going. "All I could do was just imagine her today. What role she'd play, how she'd look, and as much as I hate to say it, how it'd have been us today, not just you."

Chuckling I nod a little as I get the lantern lit, "Things would be different, that's for sure. Mason never tried giving me two million to go away, though."

Christian lets out a loud laugh as he nods, "That's true. I am pretty fond of Kallie too."

"I'd hope so seeing as she's in my wedding pictures now," I tell him, teasing a little as we get the lantern good to go. "Ready?"

"Yeah," He replies. He holds onto part of it, and I hold the other side before we lift it up and push it to the sky. We sit and watch it as it floats over the lake in memory of Kacelyn. My eyes start welling up as I watch it, and Christian wraps his arm around me. Leaning into him, my head resting on his shoulder, we just watch quietly as it drifts away with the rest of the lanterns. I'll always have a piece of me missing since we lost her, but as time goes on it's easier to deal with. just like it's been easier to deal with learning to be thankful for the time I'd had with her, and the people she brought me. I'm always going to love Christian too, sometimes more than others, but it's always going to be there. We're always going to be connected by Kacey and no one can take that away. Even with both of our lives moving forward. We weren't right for each other, and that's okay. But because of Kacey, I'll always have him as a friend.

"I love you," I tell him wiping my tears with my face.

Christian kisses the top of my head, "I love you too."

We sit on the edge of the pier together, neither one of us saying a word until Kacey's lantern is out of sight. Christian takes a breath before standing first and helping me up, "As much as I'd like to, I can't keep the bride from her guests too much longer."

Chuckling I nod before we embrace each other. The safety net I'd always remembered still there for entirely different reasons now. Now I know I've got someone who I can turn to regardless, who knows on the deepest levels what I've been through. When he lets me go, I give him a small nod and a smile as he takes my hand, leading me back to my husband.

He might not have been my forever, but I'm more than happy with what I've gotten.