Chapter: 74

Whip!

"Urgh..."

Whip!

"Haaa ugh..."

"Sir, please have mercy on my grandfather, he's too old to receive any more beating"

Sob! Sob!

A little girl in her early teens begged a soldier who is whipping an old man mercilessly, the skinny elder seems to have no more energy left to speak, all he can do is groaning while seeing his granddaughter begging for his life.

Ever since the rebellion started by the greedy Lords in this territory, his hometown, the west region of Azure continent turned into a living hell, his only son and daughter-in-law along with the other healthy adults in the village were taken as slaves to work in iron mines for the preparation of the approaching civil war they planned, leaving only him and his little granddaughter, to survive, they need to farm and fill a monthly quota of the harvest where almost 90% of their crops were taken as the tax to feed the soldiers.

Famine and poverty can be seen across the territory among the civilian, the contrast between the nobles and commoners couldn't be more obvious, the tattered skinny folks are working days and nights barely resting while the nobles are like living in heaven waiting for the preparation of the war to complete whereas the supposed-to-be holy Temple provided the slaves in secret to increase the manpower to work alongside the citizens who became free laborers.

This hellish situation was unknown to the outside world since the Rebels placed their men at the border and isolate the territory, the access to this place has been cut and any kind of entry was denied except for the Temple since they claim themselves to be in a neutral position, making it easier to provide their assistance to the Rebels secretly.

Sob! Sob!

"Oh, look at this little girl, she seems to have grown beautifully in these years"

The middle-aged soldier licks the tip of his lips while looking at the crying teenage girl with eyes full of lust.

"No, she is only a child please have mercy, Sir"

The old man is crawling to reach his trembling granddaughter, those disgusting eyes are showing enough of his nasty intention towards this frightened girl.

Up to this time, they are somehow managed to fill the monthly quota by eating a bland soup with a half piece of hard bread once a day, but because of the accumulated fatigue on his aged body, he got sick and wasn't able to move for days, even though his granddaughter was diligently working nonstop in his stead, it still won't suffice to fill the monthly quota.

"Old man, I can spare your life and let this aside if you hand over this girl, she will be more useful at our base than being a lowly farmer, hahaha"

The old man knows what kind of fate waiting for his granddaughter once she is taken by this man, it's better to die here than hand over his only remaining family member to the den of wolves in human clothing.

"RUN!!!"

With a little energy left, the old man screams at his granddaughter when the nasty soldier tried to reach her, she moved her feet to run away in reflex but was stopped before she could reach the door.

"If you dare to take another step, you will never meet this old man ever again"

He threatens the life of the old man by placing his sword on the old man's neck, to serve as a warning the tip of his sword punctured a little into the wrinkled skin making it bleeding.

"Grandpa..."

The little girl cried out as she is not heartless enough to leave her grandfather who had raised her on the behalf of her taken parents.