Chapter: 30

"Father..."

Rex called his father carefully, he could see the visible anger and sadness on the Emperor's face, he has reported all of his conversation with Grizel and give him the list of the traitors' felonies.

Emperor Drake massages his furrowed forehead, his son was asking an audience with him as soon as he came back from the Belial territory, Drake thought it was a report regarding his fiancee yet he brought this shocking news instead.

"Rex, My son... I am sorry, because of your incompetent Father you lost your mother at such a young age"

Drake said in regret because he sits at the highest position in the empire yet couldn't even protect his beloved wife.

"Father, I know you are the one who lost her the most, as her son, I know my mother never wanted to see you blaming yourself"

Emperor Drake stroked his son's hair affectionately, he is the proof of his love for the Empress, their treasure.

"Thank you for being born as our precious son, Rex"

Rex smiled genuinely without his usual fake one but then turn into a red tomato as his father keeps on talking.

"And seems like you found a reliable spouse to support you"

Looking at the red face in front of him, the Emperor couldn't help but widened his eyes because it is the first time he looks at his son acting shy.

"Father, we can talk about Grizel as my fiancee later as we have a pressing matter"

The bashful prince cuts abruptly before another talk about engagement arises.

"Haha, alright. We will have a full father-son chat soon after all"

Rex just nodded helplessly and called Dion who is waiting for him outside the room.

"Father, Grizel gave me this to prove her claim about Mother's assassination as a token of apology for using this sensitive matter as the bait to lure us"

A small wooden box appears on Rex's hand from his storage ring, inside of it was a vial which contains a transparent liquid no different from normal water in appearance, but looking at how it was carefully placed in a box, of course, it's not ordinary water.

"Instead of an apology, shouldn't we be thankful for her to reveal the truth behind the Empress' illness, moreover she lists the culprit for us?"

"I thanked her but she insisted on giving me this"

He took the vial filled with a transparent liquid from the box carefully afraid of breaking it in any possible way.

"Dion, did you bring the item needed?"

"Yes, Your Highness. I have exchanged the late Empress' pillow secretly"

Dion hand over a fancy soft pillow he took from his storage ring.

"Pillow?"

Drake asked in confusion because the report on the list said the cause of the death was due to the long term poisoning.

"Yes father, the poison doesn't necessarily have to be eaten through the mouth, in fact, the food and beverage of the Royals always tested before served, moreover Mother barely had enough appetite to eat, for a bedridden patient like her, pillow or bed is the most suitable medium for the poison"

It was Grizel's assumption, but Rex believes in her because all she said was more make sense than an ambiguous explanation of the Imperial high priest who didn't even suspect her mother's illness as a poisoning.