Chapter 26

Chi Brooklyn Monroe

{ August 8, 2021}

" Uh, ok let's see." My hand reaches for the white piece of water that held my own handwriting upon it. My eyes scan over it for a quick second before going over Treasure's diaper bag making sure I hadn't forgotten anything today.

I turn around just as my room door opens in walking my mother cradling a sleeping Treasure. " Good. There won't be fuss when I'm putting her in the car." My mom sat her down in the car seat. " Honey once Treasure doesn't like something oh she's sure to tell you. Chi, it's not a problem if I keep her. You know how fussy this little one can get."

I sit down with thoughts pounding against my head. " I mean I want dad to meet his granddaughter, his first granddaughter and what's the wait for ? If she does get fussy I'll be sure to leave." At the mention of my father; my mother's face drops. It hurted to see her so down like this especially when she's the most cheerful person I know.

" If you say so." She shrugs nonchalantly. I tried to keep it a secret from my mother about going to visit my dad's tombstone yet miss big mouth Nialey just had to say something while I was on the phone with her earlier. " Hey mom." I spoke just before she'd reached my door all the way.

She frozen yet didn't turn back to glance at me. I knew she was trying to be strong and the moment I would leave those tears would escape and there would be no trying to hold them in, she'll be all alone dealing with his death like it was a fresh newly cut scar. Those three months of her not being herself hurt me more than she thought. I had to be the one to be strong that time and I know that if it left her alone this time that another wave of depression from his death would hit her about ten times more than it had the first time since it's been a year.

" Yes Chi ?" She'd asked after us not speaking for a while.

I exhale a deep breath. " Do you wanna come with me ? I think it'll be good for Treasure as well." My eyes moved over towards my baby girl who slept peacefully in her summer wear clothing. I have to admit my mother did her thang when it came to dressing Treasure. Even though I hadn't seen her face I could tell that she cringed just by her body language. She had been tensed her.

Yep. I wasn't leaving her here alone.

" Mom get dressed. After we visit him we'll get something to eat and maybe even go to your favorite park." She slowly turns around with tears hanging in her eyes. " Chi, I'm fine. It's been a while since I've been there to visit him. I truly hope he doesn't think we've or myself have abandoned him." Her hand goes to her heart. " I've been putting his death on my shoulders everyday. I've been dealing with it the hardest when you left for those two months because I missed being able to get up in the middle of the night whenever I felt alone, so that little drive to your house, knowing that if it called you immediately answer the phone and the door. Just you being inches away from me gave me hope that I had everything I needed even if some part of me begged for my husband back."

My breath hitched in my throat. This had been news to my ears. I just thought she missed me all those time she would come over to spend the night randomly, and me being my clingy self had missed her as well. I never knew it was truly this deep.

" Ma, I-I never knew it was that deep." She nods, wiping her face as tears streamed down her face. " I know baby. I've been holding that in for so long and it feel so good letting it all out." She moans letting out. I stand going over towards her. She was completely broken. " I'm so sorry mama. You know you could have come to me with this. We could have sat down to talk." My voice hitched a bit. " I love you. You know that I'll do any and everything for you mama." Her warm hands come to my face to wipe my own eyes.