Chapter 1

You observed the forever rain that pattered against your closed window. You couldn't recall the last time it had been opened to let the fresh air inside.

These days you couldn't risk it without the rain making its way inside. It seemed as though there was never a time before this never ending rain. As though there was never a time when sunshine and blue skies existed.

You exhaled heavily and tried to focus on the book you were reading. You had once enjoyed reading and had treated it as a fun activity, preferable to watching television or playing sports. Now you found yourself unable to concentrate as the words swam over the pages, barely registering in your mind amongst the crowded mess of mental instability.

Sleep-deprived and constantly on edge, you found it near impossible to relax. Not since the nightmares.

They had always been there, but they were worsening each day. While before it had simply been dreams of losing your favourite stuffed animal, they had now become your worst fears come to life.

"(Y/n)?"

You flinched at the sound of your brother's voice and met his worried gaze. His wheat-coloured hair fell softly over warm brown eyes. His tall height was accentuated by his strong shoulders.

You were struck once again by how little alike the two of you were in appearance. While you were the splitting image of your parents, he stood out from the three of you like a sore thumb. At times he joked that he wasn't really your brother or that he was adopted. Even if he was, you loved him more than anything. He took care of you even more than your parents did.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he said gently.

"It's okay Jin. I wasn't scared," you replied.

That was a lie. But there was no need to cause him worry. He already treated you as though you were fragile. He was never far from you, constantly at ready to calm you down and make you feel safe.

The bags under his eyes were signs that he got as little sleep as you did. Perhaps even less.

Your brother walked over and sat next to you on your bed. You used to have a beautiful bed that stood in the middle of the room. It had deep, white drawers underneath where you stashed your supply of stuffed animals and toys. Now it was plain black and shoved in the furthest corner, no space between the base and the floor.

Upon turning seventeen you had gotten rid of all your teddy bears, leaving just one behind. It had been a gift from Jin for your seventeenth birthday and was almost as big as you were. Initially you had complained that you were too old but now you found yourself feeling grateful for it as it offered comfort from the nightmares.

"Has Cornelius been helping?" Jin questioned as he took the chocolate-coloured bear and hugged it tightly. You couldn't recall where you got the name Cornelius from but it was beginning to grow on you.

You nodded and gave him a sheepish grin. "I still think a dog would be better."

Jin smiled and reached over to ruffle your hair. "Mom and dad would not be happy with me if they came home to find a dog in their house."

Right. You had almost forgotten that they had gone away to...

Where did they go?

"Uh, where did they go again?"

Jin sighed. He was accustomed to you forgetting little pieces of information but lately it seemed to be getting worse. You felt a pang of guilt as you thought of how burdened he must feel because of you.