Chapter 2

You sat up with a gasp and quickly slammed a hand over your mouth to mask your sobs.

Tears spilled out of your eyes as you pulled your knees up towards your chest.

Don't wake Jin. Don't wake Jin. Don't wake Jin.

You sniffled quietly and shot a glance at your window. It was closed. You focused on trying to breathe and slowly the tears stilled. You wiped your eyes and hugged Cornelius tightly, burying your face in his fake fur.

Your mind replayed the dream and you tried to make sense of it. First your parents didn't know who Jin was, then suddenly he was dead? How did that make sense?

Dreams are weird.

You took a deep breath and pushed the dream to the back of your mind.

Think of something else. Anything else.

Flashback

"Is someone sitting here?"

You glared up at the boy who was pointing to the seat across from you.

You were sitting alone in the school's cafeteria at a table in the far corner. Usually people would ignore you, but for the past week the dark haired boy had been asking to sit with you.

Frustrated that he hadn't taken the hint and left, you stood up. "Yes. I am. Alone," you said pointedly.

He smiled. "Then I'll sit with you."

"Why?" you asked exasperatedly.

"So that you're not alone."

Your glare faltered as he sat down and started digging through his lunch box. He took out a bottle of chocolate milk and slid it across the table. "I brought an extra one today."

Darn it. I love chocolate milk.

You let out a weary sigh and sat back down.

"What's your name?" the boy asked.

"Kim (Y/n)," you murmured as you sipped on the chocolate milk. It was gone in seconds and you gazed down at the empty bottle wistfully.

"I'm Kim Namjoon," he replied with a smile, "we're both Kims."

You gave him a weird look and pulled your legs up so that you were sitting cross legged. "How old are you?"

"Thirteen and you?"

So he's older than me? Why is he talking to me then?

"Twelve."

"I'm a year older then!" he grinned.

Is that such a good thing?

The bell rang and Namjoon looked at it scornfully. "Why did it ring so quickly?"

You shrugged helplessly. Lunch always went a lot quicker than it was meant to. You were convinced that the teachers lied about the actual lunchtime to disguise their lengthened torture.

Namjoon got to his feet and grabbed your empty chocolate milk bottle to throw away. You began to make your way back to class but he quickly ran to catch up. "Wait!"

You turned around and gave him a questioning look.

He smiled uncertainly at you. "Can I sit with you again tomorrow?"

"Why?" you asked bluntly. You didn't know why he was being so nice. Most people stayed away from you as you weren't exactly the friendliest person. Most people were friends with people who made them happy or helped them when they need them.