7

'Hello and welcome to Coffee Club. Are you ready to order?'

Aurora could feel herself falling asleep as she repeated the same line for what felt like the millionth time that day. It took all her self control to not get the group of men in front of her to hurry up and order as she suppressed a yawn. The group didn't seem to notice her standing there, but it was her job. Even so, they seemed to be pretty into their menus. She was about to turn away when one of them looked up. Oh no.

The first gave her a cocky smile, leaning back and spreading his legs slightly. 'Well, well, if it isn't Aurora Diaz.'

'Hell, Theo,' she muttered to her classmate. He'd been trying to get her to go out with him for months out. If anything, Aurora found it extremely annoying since she had absolutely no interest at all. 

The other two men were looking between her and Theo, allowing Aurora to recognise his usual companions. 'Eli. Oscar.'

'You work here?' Eli asked. He was the only decent of of the group, and by that she meant he was the only one not eager to have sex with the first pretty girl he laid eyes on. He wasn't a friend, exactly, but close enough. 

Aurora nodded to the brown blue-eyed, brown-haired. 'Yeah. Have been for a few months now.'

'Cool,' he said.

'Never thought you'd fall so low as being a waitress,' Oscar laughed. Aurora glared at the pale black-eyed, black-haired boy. He took the hint. 'Still, it's cool you have a job and can make money. Bet you're planning on doing something cool with your life after graduation, eh?'

No really. 'Sure.'

Theo winked. 'Mind if I come with?'

'I mind very much.'

'Aw, come on, babe.' 

'One: I said no. Deal with it. Two: don't call me that.' 

Aurora started to walk away only for Theor to grab her arm and pull her back. It was hard enough she tripped, coming face-to-face with the boy, her hands on his shoulders to not fall on top of him. She rolled her eyes--and head--at his widening dark-brown eyes. She pushed him away.

'Look,' Aurora said with a dark smile, 'you can either make an order or I can get someone else to take your order. Someone who isn't so willing to put up with your B.S.'

'Alright. Alright.' The boy ran a hand through his light-brown hair. 'Get me the Caramello Cappuccino. Oscar will have a Skinny Latte. And Eli will have an Expresso.'

'Make sure it's black like my soul,' Eli deadpanned. 'And long like my--'

'So, in other words, you want it short and white with extra cream?' Aurora asked, tapping her pen on her pad. 

'Ha ha. Very funny.' He handed her the three menus. 'Just make it a long black.'

'Whatever you say.' 

Aurora took the menus and wandered to the counter, handing the order in and going to her next table. She repeated the process until the order number was called for the guys and took it over--but only because she just happened to be in that area. She placed the three coffees on the table and walked away before Theo tried to flirt again.

An hour later, she undid the black apron with a long-needed yawn, packing her things for the day. She went out back to avoid the guys who were still hanging around for some reason, and made her way to the carpark. Her cousin's car was waiting, Arthur leaning against the bonnet. He waved her over and climbed back into the car. 

Aurora slid into the passenger seat with a sigh, wanting nothing more than to scream her frustrations away. Unfortunately, this couldn't be done in a car without getting unwanted attention, so she settled for looking out the window and avoiding Arthur's occasional glances on the way home. He started speaking after a few minutes of silence, complaining about work. Honestly, Aurora wasn't paying attention. 

'Alright, what happened?'

Aurora jumped but remained in place. 'What makes you think something happened?'

'Aurora.'

The tone of his voice made her turn. She huffed. 'That arsehole, Theo, was at work today.' Arthur cringed. 'Yeah, so that was my day.' She sunk into the seat, crossing her arms. 'I dunno if I can handle him for another year. He makes me want to . . .' Aurora waved her hands in front of her, unable to explain what she was feeling.

Arthur nodded in understanding. 'Want me to punch him? Slash his tires?'

'Nah,' she said. 'That's something I'd rather do myself.'

He shrugged. 'Your choice.' 

She went back to looking out the window, quickly becoming bored and messing around with the radio. Arthur eventually agreed to a channel so they let it play, Aurora going back to looking out the window and humming along to Meat Loaf's Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad.

The rest of the car trip was spent in silence, neither really wanting nor needing to talk. Aurora spent the time trying to come up with creative ways to get rid of Theo, one idea involving cutting off his balls and throwing them into a fire while making them watch. The idea was enough to make her smile, if only a little.

Arthur pulled into the driveway of his house. Aurora was staying there while her parents were out of town for work business or whatever. She wandered into her room, tossing her back onto the desk and faceplanting onto the bed. She screamed into a pillow.

Naturally, this was when Lydia decided to appear out of nowhere in the way she usually did. 'Hey, Auror--' The spirit stopped mid-sentence. 'Are you okay?'

'Fine,' she muttered into the pillow. 

Somehow, she was able to feel Lydia sit beside her on the bed. 'Nothing you want to talk about or--' She cut herself of when Aurora raised her eyes to glare. 'Are you sure you don't want to--'

'Yes, I'm sure.' 

They glared at each other. Aurora looked way first.

She sat up, hugging a pillow against her chest. 'That guy is still trying to hit on me.' She fell back. 'I actually want to kill him. Hopefully he'll end up in the Fields of Punishment, or Ammit will devour his soul, or whatever Hell he believes in. And then I can watch him suffer.'

'You need another vacation,' Lydia decided.

Aurora snorted. 'If only, but school is a thing.'

'You will do great.'

She looked down, squeezing the pillow. 'I hope you're right, Ly.'