2

Despite the new rules she'd put in place for herself, Amneris couldn't help but be curious about what Jay and Leo had told her. Her small amount of will-power to not get involved quickly gave out and she found herself in the Palace library's upper floors, searching for ways in which books could be used to steal power. It was an interesting read, even if there was very little on the use of books themselves.

After several hours of finding nothing at all, Amneris made her way home. When she opened the door to her room, she found Colt lazing on their bed. He was giving her a knowing smile. She glared at him, eyes glowing ever so slightly. 'Don't say it.'

He huffed a laugh. 'I said nothing.'

'Ah, but you were thinking it.'

He stood, walking to her and grasping her waist to stop her leaving. 'What was I thinking?'

'You were thinking that I am curious about this new person going around and stealing power when I very specifically said I was going to say from field work,' she said with a reluctant sigh.

'Good guess.'

Amneris pried his fingers from her waist. She fell onto the bed with a groan, rubbing her hands over her face. 'Why did I agree to give diplomacy a try?'

'No idea,' Colt laughed. 'You have never had much of a talent for it.'

'The sword speaks better than words,' she put simply.

'Do you know what speaks better than the sword?'

'What?'

'This.'

Colt climbed over her, leaning down to kiss her deeply. Amneris smiled into it. Gods, she wanted nothing more than to melt against him–

'Woah! Okay!'

They pulled apart – barely – at the sound of Leo's voice. He was making a run for the door having walked in unannounced. Amneris sent out a tendril of her power to close the door in his face as he reached it and made him turn to her.

'Knock,' was all she said.

'Yes,' Colt agreed. 'Learn how to knock. This is not your room. We can do as we please in here.'

'And since when do you come in and grace me with your presence before checking I'm not busy?' Amneris continued. Leo was too busy gawking at them to answer. She looked up at Colt. 'I think we may have broke him.'

'It would appear so,' he said with a nod.

Amneris shifted so she could sit upright and pressed a kiss to Colt's cheek. 'Raincheck on this, yeah?'

He nodded. 'We can finish later.'

Colt kissed here again, the hand in her hair holding her in place. Not that she wanted to move away. The world felt like it was melting away, leaving the two of them like this–

'For the love of Naiu, break it up! You're acting like horny teenagers!'

The two of them pulled apart, glaring at Leo who had finally regained his senses.

He crossed his arms. 'Your sister is in the living room. I think she wants to speak with you.'

Colt raised an eyebrow. 'You could have begun with that.'

The General laughed sarcastically, throwing his hands into the air and storming out of the room.

Amneris gave Colt a sidelong glance. 'We should probably . . .'

'Yes, we should.'

* * * * * * * *

Xix was waiting on one of the lounges in the living room. Hathor was beside her, having brought the Terpolite woman tea. Amneris took a moment to look over her half-sister. You'd never know they were related from appearance alone. They only thing they shared was their dark skin. The rest of Xix's features had come from her father: shoulder-length curled white hair and scarlet-red eyes. She'd filled out well over the last five years, having spent several thousand in a prison on the world she now ruled. She no longer looked like a gust of wind would blow her over.