13

'Who does she think she is,' Aurora fumed once the three were alone.

'The Queen,' Arthur answered around a mouthful of hot chocolate. He sighed at the warmth. 'She may have an attitude but damn this is good.'

Aurora glared, though there was no heat in it. Her fingers had defrosted, blue returning to tan. Her own hot chocolate was steaming on a wooden table. It smelt so good . . .

The room wasn't half bad either. A large living/kitchen area with four doors breaking off into four bedrooms. Each bedroom had a large king-sized bed and bedside table with a lamp, window overlooking an amazing coastal city, a few bookshelves, a desk and chair. Was that a walk-in-wardrobe? Each bedroom had its own bathroom with the necessities - a large bath and shower, toilet, sink, and overhanging cabinet with a mirror.

The hot chocolate won her over. Aurora took a large mouthful. It tasted like the sweetest melted chocolate. 'I'm going to have a bath,' she decided, taking the mug with her. Arthur waved as she left the room, Lydia offering a small smile.

The bath was filled with steaming water and bubbles when she entered the bathroom, almost like the room knew exactly what she wanted. Two bottles--one for shampoo and the other for conditioner--sat on the edge of the bath beside a bar of soap and washcloth. Aurora put the mug of hot chocolate beside it. She stepped out of her school uniform and climbed into the bathroom, feeling relaxed and warm for the first time in what felt like forever.

What a day it had been! From classroom to alien planet to another alien planet apparently outside the multiverse. Which meant the multiverse was real. Though, knowing these people, they probably meant megaverse when they said it. Oh, this was a science-fantasy nerd's dream come true.

Except this was no dream. More like a nightmare.

Aurora dunked under the water to wash her hair, gasping for breath as she came back up. A hairbrush had appeared on the side of the bath. She snorted, but used it to get rid of knots. At least the room was nice. And that Ryan boy seemed nice enough, so did that Xix woman. The Queen, however, clearly had problems. She'd said something about discussing the situation with 'others'. Aurora couldn't help but wonder who said others were. Perhaps she'd be finding out soon enough.

The hot chocolate was long since finished by the time she got out and explored the walk-in-wardrobe. It was filled with clothes that fit perfectly, ones she always wished she had but could never bring herself to buy in front of her parents. Aurora grinned. She pulled on a black singlet crop top which had a white pentacle drawn in the centre, bright blue slightly ripped jeans with a deep brown belt, and black ankle boots. As always, she wore her golden ankh necklace. Her breast-length purple hair looked almost freshly dyed, and her skin was free from dirt and frost. Aurora caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. Damn she looked good in this outfit.

Humming happily, swinging the empty mug on a finger, Aurora returned to the shared area. Arthur looked fresh as well and had changed out of his uniform. He now wore a black Lord of the Rings hoodie decorated with a single gold ring and the words 'One ring to rule them all' written in cursive beneath it, dark blue jeans, and black sneakers.

He caught her staring and ran a hand through his clean brown hair self-consciously. 'Shut up, Space Girl.'

'I wasn't going to say anything,' Aurora laughed, putting the mug on the sink. She looked around the room. 'Where's Lydia?'

He nodded his head toward one of the rooms. 'Sleeping it off.'

'You think she's okay?' Aurora asked, sitting beside him.

Arthur snapped the book he was reading shut. 'No idea. She's pretty shaken.'

'Aren't we all . . .' Aurora asked what they were both thinking. 'Are we prisoners?'

'If we were prisoners, would we be in what looks like a five star hotel room?'

She nodded. 'Point taken.'

He voiced the second question they were thinking. 'You recon they'll hurt us?'

Aurora thought for a moment. She shook her head. 'They rescued us. If they wanted us dead, they could've left us to those . . . mist . . . things.' She rested her head on his shoulder. 'What have we gotten ourselves into this time?'

Arthur kissed her hair. 'I don't know. But maybe these people can get us home.'

Aurora closed her eyes. 'I hope you're right, cousin.'