22

It was near sunrise before the city was quiet once again. Those who were last to leave helped pack up from the night's events, making sure everyone got home and no one was left on the ice. After all, it would return to water by the middle of the next day. No one needed to be caught out when that happened. Thankfully, there were very few cases of that happening, none of which had occurred for several millennia. 

The day after the Freeze was an official day off for everyone. They all needed time to recover and it was a once-in-a-hundred-years event. Besides, the city didn't really lose anything from having one day's rest. It was necessary, after all. Almost no one was awake until well into the afternoon, sometimes even the evening. The rest of the planet also got a day off to make it fair for everyone, not to mention that people came from all over for the Freeze celebrations. 

Having spent the night in the Palace, Amneris found herself alone in the Dining Room, sipping from a mug of sahlab after making sure she remembered to take painkillers. She was the first awake. Well, publicly awake. Everyone else was still asleep, either from exhaustion or hangover. Thank fuck for the day of rest thing. There was no way in the Worlds she was up to working in this state. That was asking for trouble. 

Slowly but surely, the rest of her Court slowly trickled in, along with a few of those who worked in the Palace. Everyone looked on death's edge, which was hardly surprising after a whole night of partying. People moved sluggishly, most only having a small amount of food or avoiding it entirely. More people than usual went straight for the coffee. Everyone was in their nightclothes. No doubt there would be a lineup in the Hospital Wing later.

"Kids still in bed?" Amneris asked as Colt came to sit beside her with toast and tea.

"Dead to the world," he said with a fond laugh. "So are the Humans."

"Please say you're giving that poor girl a day off," Nikki sighed, flopping into the chair on Amneris' other side. "She was fucking black and blue when Kayla saw her!"

Amneris huffed. "Not my fault she has no reflexes." 

"Why don't you let Hathy give it a shot?" Jay asked, coming over with a bowl of cereal. "She's closer in age to Aurora and a more recent learner. It would make sense for her to teach."

"It could work," Leo agreed from beside him. "It would be a good experience for her."

"Should we really be telling Amneris how to raise her own child," Zoe teased, taking a sip of coffee. 

"Wouldn't be the first time," Jay snickered. 

Amneris groaned, raising her hands to her head. "Guys. Day off remember? My headache is bad enough as it is!"

Kayla sighed from nearby, placing down her tea. "Day of for you maybe. I'm going to be booked!"

They all laughed.