19

Amneris was the first to leave the cave. She scanned the area with her glasses, using the life-sign detector setting. She stopped, looking up on the edge of a cliff where figures shifted uneasily. Amneris lifted the glasses to see with her own sight, put them back on, then pulled them off again, folding them into one of her pockets.

She stepped forward and waved. 'Hello up there!'

A bullet whizzed past her hair, pinging off the edge of the cave's entrance.

Amneris braced her hands on her hips. 'That was a shit shot. Try harder!'

Leo's voice came through her earpiece. 'I said "distract them" not "piss them off".'

'Tsk, tsk, Le. You have no sense of humour.' Amneris called to the people above her, 'So, what are you doing here? Do you work for Jennix? Are you trying to kill me? Are you after the Humans in my possession--'

'Did she just say "possession"?' Aurora growled.

'Some backstory would be much appreciated!' Amneris continued. 'I mean, there are that many people who want me dead for a loooooot of reasons, so it would be great if you could narrow it down.' More shots were fired. Amneris yelped and ducked. Bullets buried into the wall behind her. 'Rude . . .' She raised her voice. 'I'm just gonna go over here. Feel free to keep failing at shooting me!'

'Of course she antagonizes them,' Nikki sighed. 

'Just move,' Amneris said.

* * * * * * * *

The attackers successfully distracted, the rest of the group moved, running from the cave in the opposite direction to which Amneris had gone. 

The plan was fairly simple: Amneris would distract the shooters by being . . . Amneris and the others would make their way back to the pathway out of the canyon. She would meet them there. At least, that was what was supposed to happen.

A group of five soldiers--part of the Rebel force if the markings on their uniforms were anything to go off--rose from the dirt and blocked the path. They raised weapons--a variety of blasters--and fired. The group split, taking cover wherever they could find it.

'Fucking figures,' Leo spat as he and Nikki hid behind a boulder

'Problem?' Amneris asked sweetly through his earpiece. 

'Ambush!' Nikki yelled over the shots.

'Then do something about it,' Amneris said. 'I'm busy!'

'Right, then!' Nikki clapped her hands together. 'Who has working powers?'

Xix burst out from her hiding spot - a small cavern in the canyon wall. Armed with her powers, red lightning zapping around her, she raised her arms with a yell. A crimson shield covered with strange symbols covered the entire group.

* * * * * * * *

'That'll do!' Zoe pulled Aurora and Arthur from the cavern. 'When I say, make a run for the pathway. And no matter what you hear, do not stop. Understood?' They nodded.

Zoe looked across the canoyn to where Leo and Nikki sat. They caught her eye. She pointed at Nikki, gestured at the shooters and held up three fingers. The Shifter nodded.

The pair came to stand beside Xix as Leo dashed across to the Humans. 

'Drop the shield on a three count,' Zoe said. 

Xix's flaming eyes turned to her. 'Sure?'

'Very.'

'Three. Two. One.'