Chapter 30: The Hog's Head

A few days after Hermione's mysterious proposal, you and the twins walked down to the Hog's Head inn on the outskirts of Hogsmeade, after stopping in at Zonko's where the twins stocked up on a few miscellaneous objects, and after you'd bought a couple of books in Tomes and Scrolls. Once you stepped through the door of the old building, you looked around in mild concern as you took in the damp and dusty interior of the place.

"Are you sure this is the right place?" George asked in mild disgust and you nodded, "this is where she said to meet, unless there's another bloody Hog's Head hiding in Hogsmeade somewhere."

Fred nudged you and pointed over to a hidden corner of the room where Ron's ginger head was peeking around the corner. You walked over to join them and the three of them greeted you quietly, and then you on a bench with the twins, in front of the window seat.

"Do you think this will work, Hermione?" you asked her as she shuffled nervously beside Harry, fiddling with the hem of her coat.

"I really hope so," she told you earnestly, and then she looked up as more familiar and unfamiliar faces walked in. Lee, Angelina, Alicia, Bea and one of Bea's Ravenclaw friends came in and walked straight over to you and sat in the booth behind your bench. They looked confused as to why they were there, but you'd assured them that it was important. You'd told the twins in a few brief words on the walk down from the castle what Hermione's plan was, and they were keen on getting involved.

Ginny, Neville, Dean Thomas and Luna Lovegood walked in then, the four of them smiled at you as they greeted everyone and sat down. You'd only spoken to Luna on a number of occasions when Bea went the extra mile as the Ravenclaw Prefect and tutored her when you were in fifth year and Luna was in her second year, and the younger girl was fascinating to talk to, eccentricities included.

Jack Abbott walked in and waved shyly at Lee who grinned at him, and he was followed in by his sister Hannah and a few more younger students you recognised from around your common room walked in and sat down as well.

Fred rested his hand on your knee and you placed your hand on his and entwined your fingers between his, he smiled softly at you and you kissed his cheek affectionately. You watched as more and more people arrived, and you were surprised by how many had actually showed up, and judging by the look on the faces of the Trio, they were equally as stunned.

Hermione stood up then and looked around nervously at all the expectant faces, she cleared her throat, "um...hi. So you all know why we're here - we need a teacher. A proper teacher," she looked at Harry who sat down quietly beside her, "one who's had experience defending themselves against the Dark Arts."

"Why?" a voice interrupted suddenly and you recognised the boy as Zacharias Smith, a third-year Hufflepuff. Ron scoffed at the younger boy who spoke, "why? Because You-Know-Who's back, you tosspot."

"So he says," Zacharias answered impertinently and nodded at Harry.

"So Dumbledore says," Hermione corrected him coolly.

"So Dumbledore says because he says," he retorted, "the point is, where's the proof?"

"If Potter could tell us more about how Diggory got killed..." another boy piped up and you winced at the overly eager tone. Harry looked at you and then at Cho, and then he stood up, "I'm not going to talk about Cedric so if that's why you're here, you might as well clear out now." He turned to Hermione, "come on, Hermione. They're just here because they think I'm some sort of freak."

"Is it true you can produce a Patronus Charm?" you turned to look at Luna who smiled wistfully as she spoke to Harry. A brief silence followed and then Hermione, who had been trying to convince Harry to stay, answered her question, "yes. I've seen it."