IX. The Potters

If you don't ship Jegulus just know it won't be end game in this because Regulus is going to gain a new love interest and sorry to disappoint the Jegulus shippers

-Ava :)
—————————————————————————

CW: Brief mention of blood

It was 5:36 PM on August 6th, 1977 when Regulus arrived at The Potter residence. He had taken the Knight Bus down the road from the Potters. He felt like his body was going to just give out if he took one more step. His cut has been reopened from the pressure of the curse and he was losing blood. He wished he could apparate.

He knocked on the door of the Potters and a man who looked like James opened it. When he saw Regulus and his blood covered he gasped which made his wife come running in the door.

Seconds later, James too came running down the steps. When he saw Regulus his heart dropped and he ran over to Regulus who collapsed in his arms and let out the tears he had been fighting back for god knows how long. James wrapped his arms around the boy's waist as Regulus fell to the floor. Regulus sobbed into his shoulder and James gave him a quick kiss on the forehead.

Euphemia rushed over and told James to leave, but he wouldn't do they both sat on the floor, Regulus in James's lap, as the women healed Regulus.

She wrapped the final bandage around his torso before looking up at him with a smile on her face. "Is that better?"

"Yeah." He nodded. His voice was quiet and weak. His father had put a lot of force into the spell and he apparently really wanted to hurt Regulus.

"Okay, you'll have to bunk with James until we clean out the guest room though. Is that okay?." Regulus nodded and then she turned to James.

James looked red as a tomato and Fleamont was smirking at him knowingly. "Y-yeah that's okay. Definitely okay." He started trying to contain his smile and Regulus rolled his eyes.

"There should be a mattress in his closet." She told Regulus who just nodded.

James helped Regulus stand up and get up the stairs. When they were halfway up the stairs they heard Fleamont yell after them. "USE PROTECTION!"

"FLEAMONT!" Euphemia yelled and she hit his arm.

"What? This is life advice here!" Fleamont laughed.

The two boys just laughed and flushed a shade of red. When they arrived in James's room Regulus walked to the closet and tried to grab the mattress, but couldn't reach it. James laughed at him and grabbed the mattress with no problem. "Shortie." He teased.

"I am not short! I'm like 5'7 1/2!" He defended.

"Yeah and I'm 6'0," James smirked.

"I'm aware James." Regulus sighed as he rolled out the mattress and blew it up with a simple spell.

James sat on the mattress with Regulus. "So are you finally disowned now or is this just a rare occasion that they let you come here?" James asked.

"Nope. I'm disowned."

James nodded and they fell into a comfortable silence that James was the first to break. "You never answered my question?"

Regulus raised a confused eyebrow at the boy. "What?"

"In the letter."

Regulus sighed as memories flooded back in his mind, all bad. He bit his lip hard. "Oh yeah, I was kind of interrupted by my wonderful parents."

James laughed a little bit. "So answer it now?"

Regulus looked away. "I- I wouldn't mind being more than friends. Actually screw that, I would love to date you, James."

James's grin only grew. He brought a hand to Regulus's face and tucked one of the boys' curls behind his ear. "Can I kiss you?" James asked. He didn't want to freak out Regulus by moving too fast.

Regulus nodded so James leaned forward and kissed him. James had kissed girls when drunk at parties of course, but he had never felt how he did at that moment when he kissed them. He got an off feeling in his stomach and when they pulled away James longed for Regulus's lips on his again. Regulus gave him a smile.

James stood up and sat on his own bed. "Night Reg."

"Night James," Regulus responded turning so that his back was facing James's bed. They both just lay there, both wanting to just sleep in the same bed.

James sighed and turned to face Regulus who had also turned over. "Just come up here you nerd."

Regulus smiled and jumped on his bed. James wrapped his arms around Regulus and they fell asleep cuddling.

When Euphemia found them like that the next morning she smiled. They both deserved each other.